CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Justin Shipley

Profile:
Re: Maintaining core tightness for squats

Exactly Veronica; I'd hazard a guess and say you're not establishing or keeping 'tight' enough on the way down and are 'dropping' into the hole with not enough tension throughout the whole package.

You should be mega-tense and tight on the way down (note- this does not need to mean 'slow') so that your brain knows EXACTLY how much weight is across your shoulders. Then it's only a small matter to apply the little extra 'oomph' needed to rise out of the hole.

'Dropping' too fast with too little total tension means your brain doesn't receive accurate feedback as to how much effort is gonna be required, and subsequently receives a nasty shock at the bottom when the true weight is felt.

Establish maximum tightness in your core as others have described, using the valsalva manouvre, at the top before you start; externally rotate your femurs and send your butt rearwards behind your heels, keeping chest up and torso erect; descend confidently and assertively, maintaining torso erectness and external rotation and serious tension and TOTAL control; just below parallel- just above the hole- release just a smidgin more tension to 'bounce' off your hamstrings, then drive your hips rearwards and up like a mofo, making sure your chest and torso are still nice and erect and coming up at the same time as the hip-drive
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
The easiest way to think of it is to inhale using your diaphragm and push your stomach as far out as possible while squatting. Dan John calls it the "Buddha belly".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Middleton
The cue he uses for his athletes is take a big breath then contract your belly button into your spine. If you don't have a Journal subscription I highly recommend it as the videos explain it far better than any words.
I've seen both these referenced before in many places, but they seem to contradict (making a big belly versus squeezing core toward spine). The first seems to work better for me, is it just a preference thing? It would seem the second technique would defeat the purpose of a belt as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
I've seen both these referenced before in many places, but they seem to contradict (making a big belly versus squeezing core toward spine). The first seems to work better for me, is it just a preference thing? It would seem the second technique would defeat the purpose of a belt as well.
IMHO the cue to "bear down" (as in having to take a sh#%) gets the point across better.