CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Okay this question is about the quality of work being done in a workout.

During the last few "Angie" workouts my weakness has been in the sit up department. 100 sit ups can take almost as long as my pullups (10:00+).

Now having said that, I do my sit ups with a homemade Abmat and I make sure that my shoulders and head touch the ground every repetition, I also do as many as I can Janda style (heels pulling against a bar) before securing my feet. I feel that these are much harder than sitting with my feet locked in a situp incline station at the gym.

A few guys who CF with me tend to keep their core contracted the entire time and they seem to fly through the sit up routine. I guess my question is how many other CF'ers do situps with some sort of Abmat and what is the preferred method? Touch shoulder? Secured feet? Unsecured Feet?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Aaron,
I personally do my situps on a decline board--the kind where my femurs are in line with my body and the knees are bent to 90 degrees, not the kind where the femurs are at a 45 degree angle to the torso and the feet are anchored in line with the hips. Here's a picture to save me the other 900 words...http://bodybuildingequipment.ericsgy...oard/index.htm

These are significantly harder than normal anchored situps. I like it this way, now when I do "normal" situps they seem easy. This situp variation has also really helped my L-sit strength due to the different force curve involved.

My next step will be to mount the AbMat on the decline board. After that will be to do my situps on the GHD. All to Rx'd numbers. Doing this method will not allow me to have super-studly times, I will gain a different level of strength and still obtain the metabolic stimulus I'm after.

Just do the situps, whatever way you like and feel is best for you, IMO.

Personally, I'm not a CF monster (yet, give me time...) and I don't go trying to compare myself to times on the board except for ballpark on how I'm progressing. So how I choose to do exercise variations is all dependant upon me and my goals. You can do the same or look to perform the "standard". You'll get a great workout either way.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I do GHD sit-ups. Coach and crew are really pushing virtuosity. Improper form does not count (period) Seem kind of shortsighted for your friends to decrease their time at the expense of the quality of the workout. When we say form, we don't mean pointed toes and perfectly straight limbs, but not standing all the way up in a squat or box jump, not locking out in an overhead lift or thruster, and not using full range of motion (including on sit ups on the floor, abmat, or GHD) is cheating.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
Larry, I agree with you 100%. I should've noted that the guys I workout with are CF noobs and they've been following my lead. I try to stress form as much as possible with them, but the individual has to be willing to push him or her self if they want to maximize their results.

Hopefully, they'll catch on soon. I just needed reassurance that I'm doing my exercises as rx'd. I'm especially a stickler for the pullups. Btw, if you can do a 100 GHD situps you gotta have one strong core!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I am just happy to finish the damn thing....