CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
Allen Russell

Profile:
Re: Sinus Surgery - Recovery

The surgery worked for me. Had mine in 2002 and still not having any problems to this day. I guess I was lucky because my recovery was surprisingly painless. I didn't even need to use the pain medicine prescribed. The worst part, to me, was when they remove the packing inside of your sinus cavity.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen Van Horn View Post
I have been a consistent CrossFitter along with doing the CrossFit Endurance site for a little over a month now. I cannot tell you enough about the amazing results I am getting. However, my progress will come to a screeching halt this coming Friday when I have sinus surgery. Has anyone gone through a similar experience -- non-injury related surgery? How did you get back into CrossFit? Is there anyway from losing the gains I have made recently through supplemental exercise? How long did it take to recover?

Thanks!
I know you are asking about CF effects, but I had sinus surgery back in 2004, and I can say it has made a huge difference in my life in my ability to breathe, and I haven't had a sinus infection since (which was the cause of my tightening sinuses in the first place). I will say I was out for about 6 weeks. I tried bending over to pick something up off the ground 2 days after surgery and blood was gushing out my nose all over the floor. Looked like a murder scene. You will have to take it easy. Enjoy the time off.

To get gross for a second, they prop you up so you end up swallowing a lot of blood during the surgery. Expect pukie when you wake up. The drugs you will get are awesome though.

Oh yes...removing that packing is a HORRID experience. Feels like someone is going Total Recall on you (if you remember the scene where they pull the thing out of Arnold's nose).
Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
John Frazer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Oh yes...removing that packing is a HORRID experience. Feels like someone is going Total Recall on you (if you remember the scene where they pull the thing out of Arnold's nose).
A fine analogy based on my experience at age 10-11 when I had my first round of sinus work. Just awful, even with morphine.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Frazer View Post
A fine analogy based on my experience at age 10-11 when I had my first round of sinus work. Just awful, even with morphine.
Not to make matters worse, but was I the only one who had dissolving sutures that created a runny nose for a month as well? I can imagine Kristen is hating us right now.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
John Frazer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Not to make matters worse, but was I the only one who had dissolving sutures that created a runny nose for a month as well? I can imagine Kristen is hating us right now.
I know I had dissolving sutures, but don't remember any problem like that. My doctor prescribed Nasonex for a number of months, maybe to prevent that.

Really, I had no problems at all after the first couple weeks. This was a pleasant surprise.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
Adam Noble

Profile:

Sinus rinse will be your friend. I like neil-med, been using it at least once a day for the last four years. Getting the packing pulled out is not that bad, just kind of uncomfortable and definitely gross. Take it easy though on the recovery, and good luck.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
Kristen Van Horn

Profile:

1 week Post-Op for me. Fortunately, I didn't have a septum repair, just removal of some allergen-based polyps, so I had no packing. The pain hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I feel like I have a pretty nasty sinus infection and I can't really smell or eat anything. I've definitely lost my appetite for all things except maybe soup.

The time off from CF has been nice. I got the go ahead to start working out again, but I think I'm just going to to some easy elliptical or something like that before I actually start back into CF.

The nasal rinses have been great actually. They have helped a lot. And since I got the polyps from allergies that don't necessitate allergy shots, I will be on a nasal steriod spray pretty much for life.

Looking forward to feeling like a normal person again.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
John Frazer

Profile:

Congratulations on the successful outcome, and enjoy your recovery.