CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Gerrit Overeem

Profile:
Stomach Cancer Question

This just sucks. Go into the dr. for indigestion come out with stomach cancer. THey found it during an endoscopy biopsy It is only stage 1 and they are still scanning to find out where it is. I have a PTSCAN next week since the CTSCAN showed nothing. However, it will require chemo, surgery to remove part or all of the stomach and chemo again. About a year of down time and recovery. Funny thing is I feel fine. Was dead lifting and squatting with pretty heavy weights last week.

I know I am going to drop 30 to 40 lbs, putting me at about 160 to 170 lbs or less. My question is has anyone gone thru anything like this or know of anyone who has? I am trying to find out how hard was it to gain weight, strength or muscle back. I am only 38 so I am sure I have a good chance of bouncing back. I plan on working out as much as I can during chemo, but from what I read it will make me tired.

I guess it is a good time to start taking up a kata based martial art temporarily, the one I take now requires slams, falls and flips. On the bright side after all this I have a really good chance of having the ripped abs that I could never get.

Thanks,

Gerrit
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: Stomach Cancer Question

Gerrit,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. Thank goodness it was caught very early. Keep your spirits high. You're a CF-er, so you're strong as heck, and you can do this.

I'm thinking good thoughts for you.....
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

heavy news to be handed bro. Alot of your questioning is subjective and will depend on your state of health and spirit along with work capabilities. With that being said, there are ample stories of heroes ( every day people that beat down their illness ) that do great things while being under the weather. It can be done.

Perhaps today you could wander over to the communty thread and post on the sticky thread write a name on your hand so some of us will devote our workout to you.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Thinking of you . . .

This is tough. I've been through some major surgery recoveries, but nothing like this. I have had some clients who have, though and as a medical researcher, I worked with a lot of cancer patients. Keep a log and we'll support you through it, chemo, workouts, demoralizing self-doubt and all. I do know that a good support system is essential.

There's no icon for a big hug so

BIG HUG
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Gerrit Overeem

Profile:

Thank you for the support and keeping me in your thoughts. It will be a tough journey, but I have a lot of friends (both online like here and close by) and family to help me press on.

Thanks,

Gerrit