CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Christian Mason

Profile:
Re: Bodybuilder scarred from steroids

I'm not "making a case for illegal performance enhancers" but I will argue that they've been unfairly demonized.

To be completely clear, they are NOT harmless, but very few things are in all case. But - used intelligently they're not the walking death the scare tactics of the media would have people believe.

A person should be careful with their doses, they should go to their doctor and have blood work done to make sure their liver enzymes are normal. They should use anti-aromotise agents if they're using drugs with a high aromotization (conversion of test. to DHA) percentage. After terminating a cycle they should use clomid to restart their natural test. production.

How many people actually do this though? The problem is that the people the drugs appeal to the most tend to be impulsive and prone to the "quick fix" mentality, i.e. the very same people who should stay well clear of them.
I remember talking to kids in high school who claimed to be on "the juice" but didn't know what drugs they were taking or the dosage. That is simply idiotic.

Arguing that steroids are always unsafe because of the actions of irresponsible people is a bit unfair though. Kind of like arguing that Crossfit is unsafe because of the people who push too far with bad form and injure themselves.

Disclaimer: I have never used steroids, and very strongly doubt I ever would

Disclaimer Two: I'm not advocating their use. Personally, I feel that they should be legal, and that it is up to the individual to decide what drugs they put in their body, this is getting dangerously close to the forbidden "politics" topic though. Regardless of their legality using ANY performance enhancer a sport bans is cheating and should be treated as such.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Steroids don;t cause acne, stupid people do

Theres a big difference between using something and abusing it and the media always points to the abusers for "What will happen" examples.

And in cases like Chris Benoit, he was on multiple drugs, including coke and antidepressants and was being treated for depression and had a t count of 9 times the upper human limit. Not 9 times the average, 9 times the upper natural limit. But most news article said "steroids led to his demise".
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #23
Christian Mason

Profile:

Well said Jamie.