CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
James Neuman

Profile:
nausea after early-morning exercise

I have noticed the following occurs to me intermittently, often enough for me to wonder why it happens but not often enough for me (yet) to become concerned.

I generally exercise, starting around 6-6:30 am. Because I am a chronic insomniac (which is not the point of this question), I will often have less than 6 hours of sleep. I drink about a glass of water while working out and do not eat ahead of time.

About 1 1/2 hours later (often when I'm on the train to work), I notice that sometimes I get nauseous. The nausea does not seem to last more than 30 minutes. Note, by this time, I still have not had anything to eat, and may only have had 1 more glass of water.

Is this likely to be the result of not eating or drinking enough, before or immediately after the workout? Or does another cause sound likely to anyone?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Todd A Ferguson

Profile:
Re: nausea after early-morning exercise

Quote:
Is this likely to be the result of not eating or drinking enough, before or immediately after the workout? Or does another cause sound likely to anyone?
Hi James food & water are your friends. In all likely hood you have just come out of a fasted state of 6+ hours trained then at 7-8 hours of no food & limited water the nausea is your body giving you angry eyes. Just like a vehicle needs fuel you need to ‘Feed the machine’
There a many schools of thought on when the best time to eat is but generally post workout within the first 30 min is a good time to get acquainted with some food. Hope that helps