CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Amy Crawford

Profile:
Sound of heartbeat in ears?

Sometimes, but much more lately, the sound of my heartbeat in my ears is deafening. I'll be exhausted, really ready to go to sleep, crawl in to bed, and I can't fall asleep because of the racket in my ears.

Is this a form of tinnitus? What, if anything, can be done about it? Of course, I notice it most when I'm in bed - quiet, dark room with no distractions. But if I sit quietly, right now for example, for a second, I can hear it too.

I have low blood pressure, about 118/66, and usually have a low resting pulse rate. It's 60 right now, and I just finished up my second cup of coffee.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: Sound of heartbeat in ears?

How long has this been happening? Did you have, or do you have a cold or other upper-respiratory infection? You could have some blockage in your eustachian (sp?) tubes.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Amy Crawford

Profile:

No, this is something that's been going on for years. I can even remember "hearing" it as a little girl, under age 6. Lately it's been going on for about a week or so. It comes and goes. Starting a new affiliate, I am under a good amount of stress, but it hasn't always been stress related.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Crawford View Post
No, this is something that's been going on for years. I can even remember "hearing" it as a little girl, under age 6. Lately it's been going on for about a week or so. It comes and goes. Starting a new affiliate, I am under a good amount of stress, but it hasn't always been stress related.
Is your BP in check?

I remember as as flight crew, there were folks like me who had what the flight doc called "underdeveloped eaustacian tubes"... don't know if that was flight doc BS or not, but if I have any irritation to my ears/nose/throat, I can hear what you're describing. However, it's not all the time, it's rare.

Maybe see an ENT doc and see ... maybe it's nothing. Considering you've had it for years, it's probably not serious.

Maybe your heart is Soooo big that you can just hear it!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Amy Crawford

Profile:

I'm pretty sure it is nothing, but it's damn annoying!

Yeah, my heart's SOOO big ... my husband will get a kick out of that one!