CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Brendan Smith

Profile:
Post Mastectomy Training Advice for Wife

My wife is 45 yo and had a double mastectomy in Feb 09. She's now completed all reconstruction and is able to start working out in some fashion. For background, she didn't have cancer but had 5 prior breast surgeries to remove abnormalities, had a terrible family history of breast cancer, and was at high enough risk that the doctors finally convinced her to have the mastectomies. She is atheletic (former gynmast and cheerleader) and wants to do some exercise but is afraid of what she can do safely with impants (i.e., any work on her pecs might be risky).

Looking for advice on functional workouts she can do. I'd like to offer her good Crossfit options as alternatives beyond what some trainers at the globo gym will likely suggest. I can imagine they'll give her workouts that just involve sitting on a ball or some a BB trainer will suggest having her do isolation work. Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Post Mastectomy Training Advice for Wife

did both the general surgeons and plastic surgeons' clear her for exercise.

Implants tend to shift a bit if they are encapsulated well. Also.. she have have any lymphatic swelling ??
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Brendan Smith

Profile:

Yes, the doctors have cleared her for exercise...start easy and wear plenty of "support." And, yes, concern is mainly around shifting.

BTW, the surgery was Feb '08 (I had the wrong year written above).
Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #4
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I was working with a double mastectomy patient who had hers done around the same time as your wife back in August. It was rather eye opening. As a medical researcher who worked with patients before and during their surgeries, I had some idea as to what to expect, but didn't realize how physically challenging the recovery could be. That being said.

She does need to wear her supports and be very consientious of lymphedema. As I'm sure she knows, resistance training, especially of the upper extremities is going to be especially important to prevent this. My client had an especially hard time with any kind of assisted bodyrows or dips, even on the gravitron on the highest setting, but loved working out with the medine ball and getting a good sweat going so that's what we did a lot of. I made up a lot of circuits for her either in front of the aerobic step or around our indoor track utilizing lunges, squats, box jumps, etc, for lower body, and combined them with Russian twists, wood choppers, side throws, slams, front throws, presses, push ups off the box, etc. It really helped her conditioning until we could work on her strength.

And she had a lot of fun. She took some time off to train with some friends to do a 3 day breast cancer fundraising walk and we're going to get back together after Christmas. She "thinks" she wants to starts deadlifting, we'll see. . .

But, we do have a double-mastectomy patient, a few years out, at our affiliate now who puts the guys to shame on occasion.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Brendan Smith

Profile:

Sara: Thank you so much, great advice ideas. Also, terrific to hear about the success of others you've helped!