CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Lee Weiyang

Profile:
Question Numbness of lips and bouts of sweating

Hey everyone,
Would appreciate any input you would have on my current situation.
Recently in the past 3 mths, I have been experiencing numbness of lips after the more strenuous workouts. It usually lasts for about 1-2hrs.
Also, I have also been having bouts of sweating. This is accompanied with a rise of body heat which I can feel. And I know its not due to the weather because I have experienced this even in air-conditioned rooms.
What could the cause of these symptoms, and should I be worried?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Kevin Daigle

Profile:
Re: Numbness of lips and bouts of sweating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weiyang View Post
Hey everyone,
Recently in the past 3 mths, I have been experiencing numbness of lips after the more strenuous workouts. It usually lasts for about 1-2hrs.
Also, I have also been having bouts of sweating. This is accompanied with a rise of body heat which I can feel. And I know its not due to the weather because I have experienced this even in air-conditioned rooms.
sounds normal to me......EXTREMELY intense conditioning in football used to do that to me, I'd be totally spent, you can feel the heat which is the rise in body temperature caused by the exercise, and i'd get tingling at the tip of my nose and ears, and in some cases some tunnel vision.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weiyang View Post
Hey everyone,
Hi Lee,

It's possible you're suffering from dehydration after your workouts. I would make sure to drink plenty of water pre and post workout. I replenish with a protein drink and a bottle of water within 30 mins after working out.

Our bodies produce a tremendous amount of internal heat and we normally cool ourselves by sweating and radiating heat through the skin. However, in certain circumstances, such as extreme heat, high humidity, vigorous activity in the hot sun or intense anaerobic activity this cooling system may begin to fail, allowing heat to build up to dangerous levels.

If a person becomes dehydrated and cannot sweat enough to cool their body, their internal temperature may rise....hence the post workout "hot flashes" or post workout mild heat stroke.

Like the previous poster, I'm not a doctor. Just sharing my thoughts.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Check your breathing as well. Hyperventilation can lead to al of those symptoms. Plus rapid breathing really inhibits your bodies normal cooling activities. I seem to always be the hottest, body temp wise, about 30-45 minutes post WO. Makes it embarassing to go to the market after working out. I turn beet red and start sweating all over again.