CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Victor Putz

Profile:
Kettlebells and Kefir in Minsk...

So, apropos of nothing, I had a trip to Minsk, in the glorious republic of Belarus. Lots to talk about there (suffice it to say that it is beautiful, big, clean, and I would not want to live there ever, ever, ever), but two interesting items for the CF folks.

First: We went to the state-run department store "Tsum" (don't know how to do Cyrillic here)... think Wal-mart run by the government in a sense: lots of goods of various quality (including a section reselling items, usually fur coats and the like, confiscated at the border!). I ambled past the sporting goods area (about a 20' square) and saw, to my surprise, kettlebells! Not super quality by any stretch, but still good solid stout chunks of iron with big comfortable handles. I don't remember prices, but it just struck me as interesting to have KBs in an everyday department store.

Second: Kefir has come up a few times in the nutrition section, and I've tried making it myself. Well, in the convenience store I saw it sold in little "juice box" servings, and in one restaurant it was "on tap" just like juices. Pretty interesting! Also fairly tasty (much milder than the stuff I make at home, which probably means I'm "over-culturing"--mine is definitely sour and yeasty; this was much milder indeed).

Of course, average male life expectancy in Belarus is about 64 according to my guidebook, so make of it what you will. But I did find the KBs and Kefir to be interesting.