CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Re: Crossfit & Rollerderby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
They need this for dudes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1451713...46821494/show/

You do NOT want this.

WFS if you can handle the moose knuckle
Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm going to, looks like a blast. I will have to wait a while, I'm going in for surgery and I'm going to be recorvering for a bit. That reminds me.

I just looked at the flicker and some you tube videos of this. MUST HAVE GUY ROLLER DERBY. Oh my god that looks like fun. But I sucks on skates, I'm an inline guy, have been for years. Seriously, how are crossfitters not all over this. Physicallity and fitness, this has to have all of the 10 aspects of fitness (much like rugby I must say). It's just too cool.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 11-06-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Rugby, MMA or Rollerderby, help me decide
Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Sarah Cruz

Profile:

Hey!

This is Nick's sister, Sarah, a.k.a. Ruby Rocker #77. Amanda Jane/Lucky Hateball...it's AWESOME to hear about another roller girl doing Cross Fit!

I really believe CrossFit can make you a KILLER roller girl! I'm a blocker, too, and I skate with the OC Roller Girls and I know what you mean about skating low. It's the best way to give and take brutal hits while staying grounded.

Our league works a lot on form and skating low. The sweeping strokes you need to take to really haul buns can take it out of your quads, right? My leg strength was the biggest obstacle to holding my own in derby, but with the help of CF, I'm keeping up with the pack now.

I am not as consistent with CF as I need to be, but my ideal weekly schedule is 2 derby practices and 1-3 cross fit workouts.

I was in Scotland this past August and will be back from July-August of next year, staying near Glasgow. If I can get my skates past security, I'd love to skate with you girls!

Good luck in your bout. Viva derby!

Ruby
www.ocrollergirls.com
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

With all you roller derby gals, I don't know what your skating technique is like, but you guys may be interested in checking out a coach I know's website, she was the 2002 olympic short track coach. She's good... www.ellisedge.com (w/f safe). She can make you a stinkin' FAST skater. Just reading the 2nd post sounded like it involved some inefficient skating positions, and not putting all the power down to the ground that you're generating.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I just emailed the local roller derby womens team about information about a mens league. If theres one near here i'm so doing it. I mean roller skating and hitting? It's like peanut butter and chocolate, cleans and jerks, gin and tonic.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #16
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
I just emailed the local roller derby womens team about information about a mens league. If theres one near here i'm so doing it. I mean roller skating and hitting? It's like peanut butter and chocolate, cleans and jerks, gin and tonic.
I wonder what damage a short track skater could do in that sport... I mean, if a guy can do 8.4 second laps on ice in short track, that's about 35 miles per hour, maybe more... *WHACK*
Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would guess alot Matt, I like the way you think. I so hope there a mens team.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
I would guess alot Matt, I like the way you think. I so hope there a mens team.
not a bad idea.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Weird...I was just looking on local Craigs List, and damn if there isn't a posting for a local womens team. They're just starting, I guess, and they need skaters, coaches, refs, etc..

Me, I'm too old to go get beat up.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #20
Amanda Jane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Cruz View Post
Hey!

This is Nick's sister, Sarah, a.k.a. Ruby Rocker #77. Amanda Jane/Lucky Hateball...it's AWESOME to hear about another roller girl doing Cross Fit!

I am not as consistent with CF as I need to be, but my ideal weekly schedule is 2 derby practices and 1-3 cross fit workouts.

I was in Scotland this past August and will be back from July-August of next year, staying near Glasgow. If I can get my skates past security, I'd love to skate with you girls!
Hi Sarah!

Yes - derby rocks! And I agree - from what I've experienced so far Crossfit is IDEAL for derby girls...

I think I'll be aiming for a similar schedule to yours - 2 derby & 3 CF workouts a week so I can have a day off before the derby training. I was training up a newbie the other night and when she knocked me over I just had to lay their for a minute as I was still so sore from another CF workout - it did wonders for her ego though - getting to take out one of the big guns on the team! lol!

And listen - you are VERY WELCOME to come and skate with us whenever you are in Scotland.... if you dont get to bring your skates with you we can get some spares for you and somehwere to stay closer in to Glasgow if you need it too Be warned though - we are pretty isolated as a team so we will squeeze you for every drop of derby knowledge you posess! lol! (We had a huge UK bootcamp a few weeks ago and we actually flew over Ivanna s panking and Trish the dish from Sin City skates to take the training)

Gotta go now - busy day at work! But I'll be in touch!

Ooh! - and there is a male UK derby team just started up too - I'll post up a link as soon as I get a chance Thanks to everyone who had some feedback for me - and all you dudes getting excited about derby! yey!

Amanda
xxxxxx
Lucky Hateball #8
Skate 'till you puke!