CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Adolescent Migraine's

Ive done some cursory research on the web but I thought Id turn here for some more info / opinion.

We believe that my daughter, Eden (5 years old), is getting migraines. We've taken her to the Dr (about 4 months ago) and he has us keeping a food log for her. He hasnt himself said its a migraine but all of her symptoms sure point to it, pinpoint pain, vomiting, intense headache, extreme exhaustion... She will usually start with a loss of appetite, then she will complain about the headache and then very soon after she will vomit and then will go to sleep for 10 hours or more! Ususally after that she is 100% back to normal.

It really breaks my heart to see her in so much pain, especially when I feel completely helpless against it. She is normally so bouncy and full of energy, her episodes are exactly the opposite of her normal self. I can only imagine how much pain she is in and I would do anything to take that pain from her and put it on myself.

Has anyone here had their kids go through this? What did you do?

Thank you

Nick
Old 09-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Adolescent Migraine's

Gotta make this quick - gotta school run.

My daughter has suffered from headaches on and off, mostly on, for as long as I can remember. She's 16 now. I recently found out about a condition called scotopic sensitivity. Google Irlen lenses and find out more info. She'll soon be getting lenses - I'm hoping it solves her problems with light sensitivity, headaches, eye strain when working on the computer and in the classroom.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Nick, sorry to hear about your daughter. I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to offer any specific advice about diagnostic or treatment options. What I can suggest, if you have not already done so, is see a pediatric neurologist. This is likely outside the scope of a traditional family doc or pediatrician. Also, if you are looking for information on the web, don't search using the term "adolescent migraines." Your daughter is about 7-8 years away from being adolescent and you may run into a lot of information that may not apply.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Robert Pierce

Profile:

I don't know that this problem is automatically beyond the scope of a traditional family doc or pediatrician. We see kids with migraines with some regularity, although they don't generally present as soon as age 5. It is a young age to develop migraines, so a good history and physical, maybe imaging, to rule out other causes is prudent. Then, a trial of a prophylactic drug may be iin order. In children, cyproheptadine is often used and can be very effective. NSAID are usually used as abortive agents. At the least, a review of common migraine triggers is warranted, and your doc should be able to get you started with these measures.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Great advice Robert! Perhaps I was too hasty to make a broad claim about the scope of care. I was just worried that all Nick's doctor has done (or at least, all we're told) is to recommend keeping a food journal.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Danny Petrick

Profile:

I used to get migraines and the first thing my doctor recommended was drink waaay more water so now I drink an extra 4-5 glasses of water a day and haven't gotten one since. That's an easy thing you could try, but you gotta make sure you dont ever miss out on the water and drink it every day.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Nick Cruz

Profile:

I think the food journal was a first step by our Dr to come to a conclusion as to why my daughter gets these headaches. It is the first step that he is taking seeing as the first time we had ever reported any problems was during her last check up. At that point I think she had only 2-3 episodes. Since then we have been able to track the frequency of them (about once per month) at the very least with a food list as a supplemental. We are scheduling another appt with him to give him an update and see where he wants to take it from there. Personally, I just wanted to do a little research on it while we are waiting. When my wife told me that all he wanted to do was keep a food log I was a bit miffed (paranoia about brain tumors and serious ailments were plaguing my thoughts). When I did some research I found, to my surprise, that it is not THAT uncommon for children to get migraines and that much of the time it has to do with something that they are eating (thus the recommended food journal).

Thank you for the replies, I at least have something to ask about when we go back in.

Thanks