CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
First Time Back Squat

doing this for the first time on my squat rack. I'm starting a SS program today for the summer. please critique

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkEv947swvU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vkEv947swvU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: First Time Back Squat

Do you actually have a copy of Starting Strength?

I'm asking because a) you're doing a high-bar squat and b) you don't have enough hip drive (see the main page video from a few days ago).
Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also work at getting your wrist flat, so your hand isn't cocked back. Helps to get your thumb on top the bar, so your whole hand is on top (like how NOT to grip the bar for bench press).
Old 05-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

It's pretty obvious that you haven't read the book.

Every page of that book is gold and it needs to be read.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

1-bar need to be resting lower on your back... basically sitting on the scapula or shoulder blades, you want the scaps tobe as if your trying to touch them together..
2-Yes , thumbs are tobe over the bar not gripping the bar, that way if you lose balance or if you have to dumb the lift your not dislocating the thumbs when it happens.
3- your back needs to be arched at the bottom of the move.

4- cannot see your heels, so going to assume your driving off the balls of your feet.

lastly... you should be doing this video with a empty bar vs weight.. correct the mistakes before they become embedded as a bad habit.
starting strength is more than just a lifting program, its program about how to lift correctly and be successful at it.

btw... next time... dump the music.. I was nearly ready to shut down the whole thing... its distracting.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

damn I actually read the whole book but is rushed through the power clean section which I'm going to have to read again cuz im doing it next week. my heels do stay on the floor and I'm pretty sure I dont drive with the balls of my foot. yea the bar could go lower and I forgot to put my thumb unwrapped. Am I going deep enough though?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

you are going deep enough but you have little to no hip drive. You should really explosivly drive your butt up out of the bottom of the squat. Imagine someone pushing down on the small of your back just above your butt. That is where you want to drive all your energy because you are not doing it there Keep working hard and you will find it

-Robert