CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Too many nuts?

I eat about 3-4 handfuls of nuts per day! After reading the first page of the permance link posted in the beginning of this thread, i now know to limit my nut consumption. But the problem is that i am at college and getting good sources of fat is very hard. For instance, i have nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts) for breakfast, snack, after workouts and sometimes before bed. I know this is excessive, but im kind of stuck. Does anyone just chug olive oil? because i do have that in my dorm. Also, would hard boiled eggs count as a fat source? Any suggestions would be great because all of the fat options i have besides hard boiled eggs and olive oil are very bad.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Some people count eggs as fat, and some don't. There's a big thread in here on it, and after pages and pages of posts, I still don't know if anyone really came to any solid conclusion regarding that. Personally I count eggs as 1 P and 1 F.

Secondly, you don't need to "chug" olive oil in order to get your fat. It's like 1 tablespoon (or is it a teaspoon? ... even easier) and you're set. I've done this once in a while when I've felt I've had too many almonds, or just needed something quick to get me out the door. Also consider cooking more with olive oil. I cook everything (including my eggs) with it now, and they taste just fine. It's an easy substitute, but I don't know if I'd make it my primary source of fat (e.g. drinking a tablespoon at every meal and snack).

So "chugging" is a little bit of a dramatization. If you can handle the "burn" of drinking it straight, you really don't need much at all.

There are plenty of portable fat sources listed in CFJ #21. Sarena said an avocado... perfect suggestion. Also keep in mind that while fat is important in the Zone, it's not nearly as important as Protein/Carbs. You can afford to be off the mark to some degree on your fat intake. You'll notice that many people here eat up to 5x the fat as the Zone recommends without any setbacks.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
Joe Bernard

Profile:

thanks elliot for the info.As for "chugging," i just meant that do people drink olive oil with their meals,not necessarily down the bottle. As for cooking olive oil with eggs, do you use the olive oil in subsitute of a non-sticking spray (like Pam) or do u use it in conjunction with it?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Ari Kestler

Profile:

I use olive oil or butter instead of pam...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Ok il give it a try, thanks Ari!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Yeah, I use only olive oil when cooking eggs instead of butter or Pam. Depending on how much energy I think I'll need for the day, I may add a little extra here or there -- add too much and it kind of mutes the taste of the eggs, so do whatever works/tastes best. But the olive oil is great if you're hurting for calories and fat, but not so great a substitute if you're looking for that "full" feeling, for obvious reasons. You can drizzle olive oil on just about everything and it'll taste great