CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #61
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Re: Ronnie Coleman leg pressing

Im late to the discussion but oh Well, Ronnie is no doubt a beast and a respected Mr. Olympia. I know it's a fact that not everyone can be trained to a 400lbs DL out of spite. It's taken me a long time ( 2 years of crossfitting and a progression on SS) to reach a 300lbs DL but even then my squat and press go no higher than 180 and 95.

But im only 5'5'' and 135lbs. Lifting that much weight at that height is not easy.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #62
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Im late to the discussion but oh Well, Ronnie is no doubt a beast and a respected Mr. Olympia. I know it's a fact that not everyone can be trained to a 400lbs DL out of spite. It's taken me a long time ( 2 years of crossfitting and a progression on SS) to reach a 300lbs DL but even then my squat and press go no higher than 180 and 95.

But im only 5'5'' and 135lbs. Lifting that much weight at that height is not easy.
Lifting weight at your height should be much easier than lifting weight at my 5'8" 135 lbs. Generally, the shorter you are, the easier weightlifting should be for you unless you have some weirdly long legs/arms making for bad biomechanics.

If you trained pure strength your numbers will go up faster. Wayyy faster.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #63
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lifting weight at your height should be much easier than lifting weight at my 5'8" 135 lbs. Generally, the shorter you are, the easier weightlifting should be for you unless you have some weirdly long legs/arms making for bad biomechanics.

If you trained pure strength your numbers will go up faster. Wayyy faster.
Thats what I have found. In order for numbers to go up quickly, you must focus on one thing at a time which is why pr's are difficult to achieve on a metcon/strength program. It's still difficult though especially when other factors such as diet, sleep, life get into the mix.

I cant imagine being a rock climber at my height though, the light weight would be an advantage but the shorter limbs I would think to be a disadvantage.

I still think it takes years of training (or several months of very strict training) to really reach any potential.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #64
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Thats what I have found. In order for numbers to go up quickly, you must focus on one thing at a time which is why pr's are difficult to achieve on a metcon/strength program. It's still difficult though especially when other factors such as diet, sleep, life get into the mix.

I cant imagine being a rock climber at my height though, the light weight would be an advantage but the shorter limbs I would think to be a disadvantage.

I still think it takes years of training (or several months of very strict training) to really reach any potential.
one of the world's best rock climbers EVER is a little over 5 foot. her name is lynn hill, and she once said, "There is no such thing as a reach problem–just small-holds problems."