CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
Post Exercise Study on ACL

A new article was just published on the benefit or lack there of on the Preventive effect/benefit of exercise to minimize ACL tears. This study is by far finished, but it does take into light what we in the field of health/fitness can do to increase awareness that it may not be the "traditional" path to take at times for the benefits to be had.

Link:
(w/f safe)
http://www.biomech.com/showArticle.j...leID=201800356

Hope you enjoy the article.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
John Tuitele

Profile:
Re: Exercise Study on ACL

Good article, thanks for posting it. I'll take it into the PT clinic today and pass it around.

I heard Chris Powers speak to this issue in the Spring at a physical therapist continuing education meeting - he heads up the USC Biomechanics Lab and is currently funded for a 3 year study of ACL injury prevention http://pt.usc.edu/ACLprojectprevent/research_tm.htm. During one of the breaks, I mentioned to him that it seemed like he was advocating squat training as as an important exercise for ACL injury prevention. His reply was "Squat training is very important, but only if the PT can teach proper form in the squat." His premise was that a strong Glut Max (not medius, as many advocate) was important in checking excessive femoral internal rotation that may lead to ACL injury. Squats, he asserted, when taught properly, targeted this objective. He asserted several times that proper instruction was key, hinting that most PT's were poorly trained in that skill.

Here is another article from 2006 out of his group. http://pt.usc.edu/ACLprojectprevent/research_tm.htm.

All links here are work and family safe.