CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Damian Hirtz

Profile:
After a couple year of following the WODs on my own or with a group of training partners I decided to pursue the possibilities of opening an affiliate.

I attended the certification seminar and was truely enlightened. It rocked. Like everyone says, you do leave exhausted yet energized. I loved it.

The thing is that I actually felt a little discouraged after too. I realized how much more there is to learn. The expression "ignorance is bliss" is right on.

I understand that it is impossible to be an expert in all areas, but at what point do you feel confident in your ability to train those with limited experience? Do you ever get to the point where you can say "I got it"?

Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I think there is always something to learn no matter what level you are at. That's the beauty of Crossfit is we are all working together and learning together. You have to reach a level where you know you are confident that you can teach someone safe and effective exercises. Safety and form should be priority #1. I've been a trainer for over 10 years and always feel like there is more to learn, and that's what makes my job exciting as I love to learn more and pass it along. Not sure of your background but maybe try working at a local crossfit affiliate to get some experience. Might want to get some other cerifications like USAW if you plan on teaching Oly lifts. Sad part is there is lots of people out in the corporate gyms with an internet PT certification and know little to nothing about exercise. Crossfit is definitely elite education compared to what they know.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
If you ever come to the point where you think "I got it" as far as not needing to learn, you're not getting the CF philosophy. Get solid on the fundamental movements, then start refining from there and learning new things. CF really prepares you to train people better than most "trainer" programs. Keep educating yourself. Start slow and scale up. You'll always be learning.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Damian Hirtz

Profile:
Thanks for the responses. Actually, the constant learning and evolution of CrossFit is what I like the best about it.By no means did I mean that the "I got it" meant to stop learing!

I was refering to that point when your own understanding of the lifts, specifically olympic lifts, gets to a point when you can comfortably instruct. Does that comfort zone exist or did you just go for it and trust in your knowledge?

Mike, you hit the nail on the head with technique and safety as priority number one!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Is that what I felt, my head on a nail?? Ouch.

Understanding the knowledge is one thing, being able to translate into a language someone can understand is another thing. Remember most people really have no basic knowledge of muscle names and how to move. Might want to use some imagery, like "Pretend your feet are stuck in cement and you are trying to jump up" instead of "squat down".....you'll get your own style eventually. Just remind them to control all their movements and teach them how to use their muscles properly in all movements. I'm constantly learning new things to say...afterall if I can only remember 5 (out of like 20) things at a time during a deadlift...how many do you think the average person will remember once you tell them...be lucky for one! Don't confuse them with scientific names to try and impress them, keep it simple, effective and they will find out you know what you are talking about.

That and no matter what, get liability insurance and waivers!!