CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
i received this letter today from one of my brothers. i have occasionally bombarded him, and another brother, and a few friends, and a few business associates with crossfit workouts, demo vids, etc. this letter is from my brother, keith, he lives in birmingham, alabama, and he is slowly becoming a believer in crossfit after i coaxed him over several months into trying a few of the metcon workouts. he jokingly referred to coach glassman as 'master crossfit' some time ago and before i convinced him to try a few of the wod's. now we regularly use the nickname in private emails with a somewhat affectionate reverence.

[Master Crossfit wouldn't like it, but today I ran on the treadmill only. I normally do 4 miles hard, then cool down for 1/2 to 1 more mile, stopping after about 40 minutes. Usually I run the hard 4 in about 32-33 minutes, although in the past I've come closer to 30 minutes on a "fast" treadmill and when I'm in extra-good shape, and feeling fine. I've also run 5 miles in right at 40 minutes, although for no particular reason I haven't tried that often. Also, I've felt like absolutely dog **** after a 5-miler that fast. Today, I ran the first 4 miles in 29:40, and the entire 5 miles in 38:40. I felt fine most of the way--I could've run the whole 5 at least a minute or 90 seconds faster if I'd tried, but I was trying to cool down. That's the first time I've cracked 30 minutes on 4 miles in at least a couple of years, because I don't really try to do it that often, and even if I'm running hard and thinking I'm in decent condition 32 minutes is about the best I can do on a normal treadmill. I consider the one I was on today to be normal.

No ****, I attribute the speed to the hard 1/4 and 1/2 intervals I've been doing on the Crossfit workouts. I haven't done a bunch of them--maybe a couple of times with the 1/2 milers (Michael), and 2 or 3 times with the 1/4 milers (like the one with the kettle ball swings and pullups, and the one you sent me last week with 5 sets of 1/4 mile runs and OH's). But running at those speeds (9-10 MPH), even for short distances, makes my legs think 8 MPH or better isn't so bad. I've heard about this before--interval training for distance speed--but never actually experienced it.

It just occurred to me that this is the sort of inspirational message that a dork like you would post on one of your Crossfit message boards. And yes, I've seen some of your postings, because out of curiosity one day I googled "Crossfit Birmingham Alabama" or something and you were at the top, or close to it, talking about how you and Carol would like to open a Crossfit gym some day. Whatever, post if you want to but don't tell anybody my true identity. Unless you are also giving me credit for the name Master Crossfit.]

i told him i thought 'master crossfit' would like his results just fine.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
hehehe. The last paragraph cracks me up.