CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
Alexis Palmer

Profile:
New paleo study

Found a new study that looks like they used a paleo diet (low starch/low dairy) to improve fat burning in insulin resistant women with PCOS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25109619 (WFS)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: New paleo study

So I guess this applies to all those obese, insulin resistant women who also suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome that hang out on this board?

Unfortunately you have to have a subscription to actually read the study (so you don't really know what they ate without having a subscription) but just from the abstract it is pretty obvious that this wouldn't apply to nearly anyone here. Studies involving obese people, non trained individuals, people with specific health conditions, rats, etc, etc, etc are things that you should take with a grain of salt unless you are one of those things.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Alexis Palmer

Profile:

Wow. Thought it might be interesting to the people here who happen to follow a paleo diet, which I am going to assume is quite a few (you not included).

1. I know several overweight/obese women who do crossfit and since PCOS affects nearly 1 in 6 women, I would say it applies to more than you think.

2. I have access to the article through my school library and they were eating "ad libitum lean animal protein, eggs, fish, non-starchy vegetables, fruits (including olives and avocados), nuts/seeds, oils". Sounds pretty paleo to me.

3. Several individuals on this forum are probably coaches at a box and have overweight/obese (which usually means they are insulin resistant) men and women asking for advice. This would apply to them as well.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I mean, from what I can tell from the abstract, they used 10 women and no control group. Did they mention what they were eating beforehand? I would imagine that the diet they were put on was likely much better in terms of quality foods and lower in calories than an obese persons diet without any intervention.

Quote:
There was also significant difference in incremental area under the curve from pre- to post-diet for fat (0.06 0.00 g/kg per 5 h; p < 0.001) and carbohydrate oxidation (-0.29 0.06 g/kg per 5 h; p < 0.001), but not for RER or EE
If they went from a caloric surplus to a caloric deficit wouldn't it make sense that fat oxidation would increase? It did not have any impact on energy expenditure so the diet didn't cause them to burn more calories than before. To me all this says is, "We improved the diet of a small group of obese women and they burned more fat. We have no clue if it was the food quality, the lowering of caloric intake, or anything else though."

Is there anything from the full text that stands out as valuable?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Here's a list of the article's references. May be of some help if you're looking into it. The link is WFS.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...3#.VBxiIRaVBw1
Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Alexis Palmer

Profile:

The full study is now available for free on PubMed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4211969/ (WFS)