CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat Snatch form

You are not setting your back from the start. It's setting soft. Chest up, back arched.

Weight is still too far forward in feet.

Practice some Snatch High Pulls to learn to keep the bar close.

Fairly decent though, just needs some tweaks.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #22
Aaron Abke

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat Snatch form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I think both of the things I mentioned should help you be able to balance better at the bottom.

What would tend to throw you off balance would be the bar moving in front or behind your body at the bottom. The closer the bar is to you body during the lift, the easier it's going to be to catch it straight overhead without giving it any forward or backward momentum. As for the riding down, if you're anything like me the hardest part of doing overhead squats is keeping the bar stable on the way down!

I agree that the snatch is the most technically difficult CF movement, it's so nuanced and because it happens so fast in one motion it's hard to diagnose yourself! I've got my own entirely different things I have to work on, my most recent video is actually a couple threads below this one!
Nice, I'll go check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Donovan View Post
There was definitely some good improvement from the first video but it still looks like the bar is coming away from you after it comes off your hips due to not bending your elbows. I had this same problem. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Burgener warm up but check that out and that should help you with drills to bend the elbows and keep the bar as close as possible to you.
I'm glad you pointed this out, I wasn't even thinking of bending my arms. I'm always so focused on "don't bend your arms, don't bend your arms" on the first pull, that I just stick with that through the movement. But you're right, that will help me keep the bar closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I agree with the poster above; your arms are staying straight and you are just circling it from your hips to overhead. It is probably because the weight is so light, but you really need to work on pulling your elbows high and outside to get the mechanics of the turn-over down and pulling yourself down under the bar. Some Snatch High Pulls would really help you out with this.

Even with Power Snatching, the mechanics are the same with the arms.
Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna work on this step next for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
You are not setting your back from the start. It's setting soft. Chest up, back arched.

Weight is still too far forward in feet.

Practice some Snatch High Pulls to learn to keep the bar close.

Fairly decent though, just needs some tweaks.
Appreciate the advice, I'll be incorporating snatch high pulls into my training for a while, and see if that fixes the problem.