CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #61
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: Total Knee Repalcement

TKR April 17th, 2012- Developed arthrofibrosis and had to 'take it easy' for a while. (also had it in my left knee following TKR in 2008 and had a MUA and it took 9 months to clear up)

So, I am 6+ months post knee TKR and 9 weeks post 'ream and run' shoulder replacement.

On my own, I started doing scaled pistols a few weeks ago and that is when I began seeing improvement in my right knee. I've been doing sets of 10-3x with my warm-up each day. I've observed significant strength gains in both knees and less swelling in the right knee.

Hit a new post surgery 1RM PR on deadlift Monday evening at 310# w/ BW-165. Began 6 week DL strength program last night.

I now have both knees and both shoulders replaced and I am anxious to see how far I go improve. My 'psychology' has really changed since the shouder replacement. I now know I am on the mend and on the path to pain free, unencumbered training and improved quality of life!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #62
John C Blattner

Profile:

Wow. Skip, you're closing in on becoming the real $6 Million Man. It's great that you're able to do so many CrossFit movements.

I asked earlier about everyone's post-TKA capacity for running, squats, etc. Thanks for the responses. What about burpees and Butcher sled-pushing? I actually enjoy Butchers (or used to). I hate burpees as much as everyone else does, but they're a great workout and there's really not a good mod for them.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #63
Skip Chase

Profile:

John-Following TKR we are to avoid running, jumping, etc. It is my desire to compete again but I will refrain from the impact movements until a competition and I will not have a choice. I am using rowing as a sub for running.

Burpees were not a problem for me following my first knee and first shoulder replacement. I am only 10 weeks following my second shoulder replacement so I am only doing scaled pushups. I don't see any reason why I couldn't continue performing burpees.

I hit another PR for deadlift on Tuesday- 330# @ 165bw.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #64
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Total Knee Replacement one year ago today and doing great
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #65
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Excellent!!! I'm very happy for you Pete. Hope to still hear more from you regarding your progress as time goes by including any new moves you build into your regular workout. Keep it going!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #66
William M Davison

Profile:

On Nov 20th I have a partial knee implant. My inner and middle compartments were replaced. about 14 days ago I had 300cc's of fluid drained off the joint that remained from surgery. My knee look normal and most of the pain subsided. When I went to start working out on a Aredyne the swelling returned, the pain is not as intense but appears to be slowly returning also. I am a full time police officer and have just returned to light duty, so the return of the pain and swelling is a bit disheartening. I have a Dr apt tomorrow to see what is next. I may have to retire from fully duty until I can run and fully preform my duties. I am afraid to run on the knee becasue if biking makes the joint swell I assume running will be worse. With the swelling come reduced range of motion in flexcion and extension. No easy fix here. I had the Conformis Iduo2 implant put in. Myself and another on this forum are wondering if we should have gone with the traditional full replacement. Wish all the best in your recoveries.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #67
Sean Rockett

Profile:

good luck with it
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
John C Blattner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William M Davison View Post
On Nov 20th I have a partial knee implant. My inner and middle compartments were replaced. about 14 days ago I had 300cc's of fluid drained off the joint that remained from surgery. My knee look normal and most of the pain subsided. When I went to start working out on a Aredyne the swelling returned, the pain is not as intense but appears to be slowly returning also. I am a full time police officer and have just returned to light duty, so the return of the pain and swelling is a bit disheartening. I have a Dr apt tomorrow to see what is next. I may have to retire from fully duty until I can run and fully preform my duties. I am afraid to run on the knee becasue if biking makes the joint swell I assume running will be worse. With the swelling come reduced range of motion in flexcion and extension. No easy fix here. I had the Conformis Iduo2 implant put in. Myself and another on this forum are wondering if we should have gone with the traditional full replacement. Wish all the best in your recoveries.
I'm the "other" poster that had same TKA at about the same time. I just re-read a post I made the morning of my surgery -- a description of how f***ed-up my knee was, in case I was ever tempted to regret the procedure. No question my knee is much better now than it was that morning. It's only about 85% of where I think it should end up, and the process has been MUCH slower and more frustrating than I was led to expect. But I continue to see progress so continue to be hopeful. It helps that my livelihood doesn't depend on physical performance -- I really feel for you in that regard. Hang in, bro!