CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: DE or Speed Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
I've recently been told that accommodating resistance (bands and chains) is not particularly useful for training raw lifters-- that they're just en vogue right now because they're "sexy"-- and that a raw lifter might see better results from DE work without the bands or chains. Any thoughts on that?
Total bunk. Accomodating resistance predates powerlifting gear. Most Westside training is done in no gear save briefs.

Bands are particularly effective for DE work because they allow for overspeed eccentrics.

Bands can also make each repetition more efficient by altering the load when leverage normally would decrease the effective load on the involved muscles. They increase the actual load at that point thus forcing the muscles to work harder throughout the ROM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Remember, absolute strength also plays a role in the expression of power at least up to a point. For the relatively undeveloped, for example, simply increasing the absolute strength of the legs and hips by squatting can improve sprint times. In a more advanced lifter the correlation no longer holds true, but what you experienced is likely what I just described.
Of course, but I should have mentioned my back squat went up 4kg, front squat went up 20kg. And to be honest I didn't push my squats as hard as I should have, but I am more technically proficient in the lifts.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Of course, but I should have mentioned my back squat went up 4kg, front squat went up 20kg. And to be honest I didn't push my squats as hard as I should have, but I am more technically proficient in the lifts.
Since you were talking about an 8 month period, I assume the 4kg is a typo for 40kg?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
Since you were talking about an 8 month period, I assume the 4kg is a typo for 40kg?
Nope, it went from 166kg to 170kg. I've hardly back squatted, focussing on front squats, since it applies to weightlifting more. Knee injuries haven't helped.