CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Jonny Slick

Profile:
Stats Critique Please

Hey everyone, I'm a certified personal trainer, group exercise instructor, and a CFL1 trainer. I've been doing Crossfit and similar training for 2 years now and have been lifting, running, and messing around with soccer and gymnastics for 5 years now. I was hoping to get an honest critique of my strength and metcon stats, as most of the people on this board are honest and know their stuff.

M/23/5'7"/153lbs/8-9% body fat

Strength (1 rep maxes in pounds):
310 Back Squat
385 Deadlift
185 Bench Press
255 Front Squat
135 Press
195 Push Press
215 Clean and Jerk
170 Snatch
235 Clean
205 Power Clean
155 Power Snatch
815 CF Total

Bodyweight:
38 Kipping Pullups, 21 Strict
75 Chest to Floor Pushups
6 Ring Muscle ups, 5 bar MU
7 Strict Handstand Pushups
33ft Handstand Walk
20ea Pistols

Metcons:
14:41 Angie
4:14 Fran
25 Round Cindy
8:05 Elizabeth
23:39 Filthy 50
375 Fight Gone Bad
3:38 Grace
4:38 Isabel
11:09 Helen
8:55 Karen
90 rep Lynne
103 pullups on Nicole
17 round pullup ladder

Monostructural:
:68 400m Run
2:26 800m Run
5:52 mile Run
19:28 5K Run
1:31 500m Row
7:08 2K Row

My current program is 3 on, 1 active rest, 2 on, rest. Twice a week I'll do a strength lift before a metcon (bench or press one day, snatch or c&j on the other) but for the most part I program my own WOD's. I pick one from the first year of CF, one of the middle years, and one mainsite WOD a week and design my own around those.

My diet is around 2600 kcal a day, 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat (some days closer to 30/30/40).

My overall goal is to be healthy, well rounded, and increasing my work capacity for as long as I can. Not looking to compete in the Games or anything.

Any thoughts on weaknesses that stick out to you?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Stats Critique Please

I think your numbers awesome for your stated goals. The weak links in strength are your oh press and bench. Your clean is good, but snatch could be better.

Compared to your pullups and pushups, your muscle ups and hspu's could be better.

The metcon that stands out is Helen...this should be around 8 mins. I wonder where this goes bad, maybe you havent tested in a while? Fran could be in the 3's as well.

You probably know, but if you did want to compete, its the strength that you would need to add approx 100#'s on the sqt, DL, bench, snatch & clean. Most likely, increasing the strength, the metcons would get to elite levels as well. For your own programming, your well roundedness is great!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Jonny Slick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
I think your numbers awesome for your stated goals. The weak links in strength are your oh press and bench. Your clean is good, but snatch could be better.

Compared to your pullups and pushups, your muscle ups and hspu's could be better.

The metcon that stands out is Helen...this should be around 8 mins. I wonder where this goes bad, maybe you havent tested in a while? Fran could be in the 3's as well.

You probably know, but if you did want to compete, its the strength that you would need to add approx 100#'s on the sqt, DL, bench, snatch & clean. Most likely, increasing the strength, the metcons would get to elite levels as well. For your own programming, your well roundedness is great!
Awesome, thanks John! Yes, Helen was a while ago on a treadmill with a 12mph max speed in a crowded gym. The same goes for Filthy 50. The 4:14 Fran was done with the pullups on a shaky tree branch outside, so I'm with you on the sub 4 idea, haha. I'll probably hit it next time I try.

Bench and strict press feel so unnatural to me. I've tried to externally rotate my shoulders more and pinch my shoulder blades together on the bench descent, but it still just feels weird. With strict press the bar gets stuck between my nose and forehead, before and after that the bar's got decent speed. I guess I just need to work both of them more until I get used to the feel...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

You seem to be in pretty sick shape. Not quite elite XFitter shape, but a tier or two just below that. Lifts all seem comparable. One thing that stuck out as a potential weakness was your run times. Not that they're slow, but that your 400M time isn't quite up to par with the rest of your runs. Somebody who runs a 2:26 800M should be able to go around 60 seconds in the 400M.

But then again, maybe sprint speed is not that important to you. Do you do any sprint type of work?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are weak. That seems to be a pretty glaring issue. My girlfriend can bench almost as much as you and she is not using hormones and has been training for less than a year.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Jonny Slick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
You seem to be in pretty sick shape. Not quite elite XFitter shape, but a tier or two just below that. Lifts all seem comparable. One thing that stuck out as a potential weakness was your run times. Not that they're slow, but that your 400M time isn't quite up to par with the rest of your runs. Somebody who runs a 2:26 800M should be able to go around 60 seconds in the 400M.

But then again, maybe sprint speed is not that important to you. Do you do any sprint type of work?
I haven't run in a while after resting from some IT Band issues I got while training for a half marathon earlier this year. The only 400m I've ever run was roughly estimated running up and down a sidewalk, so I'm only guessing at it. I've run 200m under 30 before, so I probably should be able to do 60 sec for the 400m. But yeah, I do need to get back into sprinting. 100m were always my favorite. I can hold 10 of them all around 12-13 sec. Thanks for the honest critique, dude!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Jonny Slick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You are weak. That seems to be a pretty glaring issue. My girlfriend can bench almost as much as you and she is not using hormones and has been training for less than a year.
Haha, hey...I asked for honesty, guess this is what I get. Thanks though, I know it's a weakness and I just finished my third week of Wendler for bench. In your opinion is this a good way to work in some strength work along with normal CF conditioning?

With gymnastics and soccer being my sports of choice, big strength numbers were never that big of a concern for me. I'm way more proud of my back tuck and corner kick abilities than a 400# squat. But I see what you're saying...I've gotta at least get stronger than your girl, haha.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

You are right in that things depend on your goals. With that said, absolute strength can help in just about every aspect of athleticism. If you are strength training and have only reached the level you have after a few years then I think you are doing something seriously wrong. I am a firm believer in the Westside training template.

I would recommend you go on a strength training focused block for 8 weeks and then resume to something more akin to what you currently do.