CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: exercises for stiff lower back

I would also look to strengthening the antagonistic muscles.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

Psoas.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Hines View Post
good morning all, quick question about loosening up the lower back. I am 6 weeks in to crossfit and my low back is so stiff. I make sure on every lift to use prppper form so Im not breaking stuff, but at the same time I know my lower back was very weak going in to this.

I am working through the mobilitywod project but havent gotten to anything specificly addressing the lowerback. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to loosen that up and get a little more flex in that area?

Thanks!
This may sound counter-intuitive but if you want to iron out the kinks or have clear out some of your lower back challenges you should progressively start dead-lifting and squatting more.

You'll thank yourself when you get older because if you get some strength and Hypertrophy(back, hams, glutes, shoulders, traps, grip) going with the muscles involved with the deadlift you are going to circumvent some of the typical problems that will get worse as you get older pertaining to your lower back.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Kate Batrak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Joven View Post
This may sound counter-intuitive but if you want to iron out the kinks or have clear out some of your lower back challenges you should progressively start dead-lifting and squatting more.

You'll thank yourself when you get older because if you get some strength and Hypertrophy(back, hams, glutes, shoulders, traps, grip) going with the muscles involved with the deadlift you are going to circumvent some of the typical problems that will get worse as you get older pertaining to your lower back.
i totally agree. after a good deadlift workout lower back is the most relaxed/relieved spot in my body.i can't go with them for too long, something starts bothering me. and the good ol' squat. all types and variations. yup.bonus point - the rotundity!!