CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Snatches and overhead squats still worth it?

Recently while trying to get the bar in position for an overhead squat I dislocated my right shoulder. I can't be sure, but I believe this was from a combination of trying to press the weight into position too much rather than dropping under it and letting my shoulders externally rotate.

It seems to be fairly common knowledge that when you dislocate your shoulder once it is much easier to do it again. It has really gotten me thinking if those movements will still be worth it once my shoulder gets better or should they just be skipped from now on? I don't compete in olympic lifting, I just enjoyed doing the movements, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't be better off just doing cleans and other forms of squats now.

Anyone with experience, is it possible to pick these movements back up again with confidence if I really focused on strengthening the the rotator cuffs, shoulder girdle, stability work etc. Or is it too risky?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Snatches and overhead squats still worth it?

From an outside perspective it's probably good to have the strength, but if you're not competing you probably don't need it.

At the very least regaining the mobility would probably be a good idea, but you don't need it under load.

There's very few circumstances in real life that you're lifting stuff overhead in an OHS position as well.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Do you agree with the notion that I'm probably more likely to dislocate it again with those movements specifically?

I would also imagine that regular overhead pressing movements wouldn't present as much of a problem as it is a more stable position for the shoulders?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

FWIW... I have a torn labrum that I've not had fixed but have regained a stable feeling in that shoulder by resting and then starting low and going slow. I've also watched a lot of Kelly Starrett and I am working to improve areas of deficiency, which are many.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Stretch and strengthen your shoulder girdle and thoracic spine. Just work at a much lighter weight until you gain confidence in the lifts. Injuries blow, but that doesnt mean you have to give up those lifts forever.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Do you agree with the notion that I'm probably more likely to dislocate it again with those movements specifically?

I would also imagine that regular overhead pressing movements wouldn't present as much of a problem as it is a more stable position for the shoulders?
Well, with any injury you're at like some 3-4x more likely to injure it again compared to the healthy population. So.... that's a yes.

Usually for anterior instability, it's abduction with external rotation. So I would be careful with those types of mvoements. Pressing itself probably won't present that big of an issue though, but be careful.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Matt what are your shoulders like? I thumbed through your posts and could only find that you could lift a 240lb Atlas stone. Unfortunately, I have no experience in that so I don't know what that really means though it sounds impressive.

Are your shoulders super ?tight? Moderately strong? Super weak? Super flexible?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Pretty flexible. I do dislocates (that name is slightly amusing now...) fairly regularly. I can grab my hands behind my back (1 arm up, 1 arm down)

Strength wise here's some numbers:
Push Press: 230ish
Jerk: 265
HSPUs: about 5 hands to shoulder.
OHS: 225. Dislocated the shoulder trying to get 235 in position. Think I would have gotten it though
Bodyweight: 185

I went to the Ortho today and I told him how I hurt it and the first thing he asked was "are you a CrossFit guy?". That can't be good.

He seemed to think it would be okay though. I'm supposed to go to therapy to learn some exercise and stretches for mobility.

Still not sure how I feel about snatches and OHSs right now, but I definitely want to be able to lift overhead again and he didn't think that would be a problem so that's cool.

Thank you for the input so far everyone. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Matt Thomas : 12-22-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Were you trying to rotate it into position under load?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I wasn't trying to rotate anything, but I think that's partly what happened. I also think it had a lot to do with pressing it out. I was going to do a snatch balance to get the weight into position, but I didn't take it seriously enough and only got enough hip drive to get the bar to about the top of my head and I didn't drop down at all so I started pressing about halfway to lockout and as soon as I did, it happened.