CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Teja Yenamandra

Profile:
Deciphering Shoulder MRI

Hey All,

Been a lurker for some time now — this is my first time posting. My right shoulder has been acting up. Was hoping for a simple tendonitis diagnosis, but here's what the MRI read:

The axiallary view shows questionable anterior subluxation of the right humeral head. There is no fracture. The bones are well-mineralized. There are no degenerative changes. The soft tissues are normal.

I take that to mean there was a subluxation but there's no joint damage to the right shoulder?

Thanks all.

Last edited by Teja Yenamandra : 12-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Deciphering Shoulder MRI

Well, they're likely evaluating your resting position on the MRI, considering joint laxity cannot be assessed via MRI, only via functional testing (unless lax due to a tear). This means that you are sitting in an anteriorly displaced position and are possibly subluxed. No matter what, this means your humerus is not in a great position to bear load. This is typically accompanied by poor posture (rounded shoulders), tight pecs, and tight posterior capsule. If you're in pain and have this finding, I'd suggest seeing a physical therapist, as it's easily treatable with the right intervention. Restoring your shoulder's normal mechanics will definitely help with function and pain and is as conservative of treatment as it gets.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

This diagnosis might actually be better for you because all you have to do is likely focus on:

1. good posture
2. Good mechanics during lifting
3. Strengthening your posterior muscles around the scapula, including external rotator cuff muscles
4. Stretching of your anterior shoulder muscles and internal rotators, espcially the pecs and lats.

Fairly simple fix if nothing else is wrong.

Tendonitis can be very annoying in the shoulder to fix in certain cases because it is nagging.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Teja Yenamandra

Profile:

Thanks for your input, fellas. As always, this board has proven to be very helpful.

Spoke with a physician today and was met with some unfortunate news. He confirmed the presence of a small anterior labral tear on this right shoulder. I had my other shoulder (the left shoulder) scoped in August of this year for bankart lesions. I suspected that I had injured both shoulders during a handstand gone awry but I had wanted to focus on what seemed to be the most significant. Felt like my right arm was acting up because I was just favoring it after the surgery, but sounds like this might require some more attention.

On the one hand, I'd like to avoid surgery because of the other shoulder's ongoing healing process. On the other hand, dealing with this other shoulder and a few other longstanding injuries have forced me to put my life on hold for the time being, so I'm almost in a position where surgery is more possible now than it would be later on in life, at least from a lifestyle perspective.

Along those lines, has there been a case around here of double labral tears being corrected back to back? From the perspective of an athlete, what would you folks do?

Thanks!

Last edited by Teja Yenamandra : 12-16-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 12-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Labral tears treatment depends a lot on what type of activities you want to do, and how they are currently performing.

One of my friends who is a physical therapist tore his labrum, but since it doesn't bother him with exercise and is asymptomatic with shoulder stabilization exercise. So he pretty much didn't bother getting it repaired.

If it's unstable when you are doing daily tasks that's a likely candidate for repair. If it's symptomatic during exercise, that may be a possible candidate for fixing if you are going to be extremely active or involved with a sport that puts the shoulder in a vulnerable position.

Otherwise, if it's not bothering you you'll probably just get sent to PT and then discharged if it continues to not bother you,

So.... that's pretty much what is going to happen more or less unless you really want the surgery or something.