CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Kyle George

Profile:
Exercise RX Advice

Received this info from a relative and I would like any input other then my own, sometimes I lke to see what others would do before I act and prescribe.
Thanks for the feedback.
Gave him latest MRI. Asked him how many Anterior/Posterior Fusions they do a year. He said, ‘Hundreds’. I asked him his opinion on me having one. He replied that he did not think I would be happy with the results. He explained further that my lumbar spine has so much arthritic deterioration [worn points] in most vertebral intersections that it would be hard to find a strong place to anchor the fusions without putting undue stress on the anchor points, therefore causing problems at those points.
2. Also, I am way too active [causing stress on back] for the operation to give good, long-term results.
3. Two potential complications of my back’s current condition that could require surgery if there is a change in the back’s affect on my nerves or a failure of a muscle group. 1] “Drop foot: [nerve damage]Test: Occasionally walk across the bedroom on my heels. If the foot drops or ‘slaps’ the floor, call. This could require selective surgery [at the ankle?]. 2] Muscle group: e.g. Cauda Equina Syndrome, or ‘Saddle failure’ describing the muscle group on the inner thighs that would touch the saddle if you were riding a horse. May not hurt but if there is a disc blow-out, it can cause incontinency and numbing in the saddle. Then they would do emergency surgery on the intersections controlling the nerves and muscles that affect the saddle.
4. If the current sacro injections of steroid [Kena___] and Xylocain numbing solution lasting 2 hours, does not provide any longer term relief, the other possible procedure to relieve sacro back pain is Radio Frequency Ablation, which inserts a needle into the affected area and induces a radio frequency designed to temporarily deaden the nerve that is causing pain. Doesn’t cure the problem but reduces the resultant pain. Pain will return as the nerve restores itself. When asked, he responded that about 10% of their patients use this.
POSTURE ANALYSIS
1. I have “Flat Back Syndrome” because I have two ‘auto fusions’ of vertebral joints that prevent me from bending backwards. My sacral problems force me to automatically lean forward to get relief. This causes my body to automatically bend my knees, trying to center my head over my hips for balance, which in turn, aggravates the sacral area.
2. It also causes shortening of the hamstrings, so be sure to include stretching as part of my daily routine.
3. Doesn’t think that a campaign to lock my knees and straighten up will be successful, as I would be going against the body’s natural tendency to balance itself.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Exercise RX Advice

So what exactly are your questions?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Kyle George

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
So what exactly are your questions?
Has anyone dealt with any similar problems and what would they do differently after dealing with it before.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

What are the problems that you have with your back and SI exactly aside from the two fusions and arthritis deterioration?

If the sacral problems prevent you from standing up straight, why does bending forward also aggravate those sacral problems too?