CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Ben Joven

Profile:
List your max 1RM deadlift and weight!

Just curious; been training the deadlift for two months and I recently hit 204.5 kg @ with a bodyweight of 81 kg.

Goal is to slowly progress to #500 but I want to take my time and only do 1RM once a month due to something that I heard on a podcast that made a lot of sense that you only really have a true 100% max 1 RM with any lift once or twice a year.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: List your max 1RM deadlift and weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Joven View Post
Just curious; been training the deadlift for two months and I recently hit 204.5 kg @ with a bodyweight of 81 kg.

Goal is to slowly progress to #500 but I want to take my time and only do 1RM once a month due to something that I heard on a podcast that made a lot of sense that you only really have a true 100% max 1 RM with any lift once or twice a year.
450# is a good pull for your body weight.

I do not agree with what you heard in that podcast re. only being able to hit a true 1RM 1 or 2x per year - and that is based on my personal experience hitting 1RMs, and training many clients and watching them do the same over the past few years.

Whose podcast was it, and what was the underlying reasoning?

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 12-19-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
450# is a good pull for your body weight.

I do not agree with what you heard in that podcast re. only being able to hit a true 1RM 1 or 2x per year - and that is based on my personal experience hitting 1RMs, and training many clients and watching them do the same over the past few years.

Whose podcast was it, and what was the underlying reasoning?
I believe it was Greg Everett quoting Louie Simmons on the Paleo Solution podcast basically saying that most power lifters only have two true 1RMs in them a year...

I think the theory is that a power lifter should save their 1RM for competition and stick to 3RMs because they aren't going to know their maximum potential unless they progress their training to their true 1RM for competition
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I believe it was Greg Everett quoting Louie Simmons on the Paleo Solution podcast basically saying that most power lifters only have two true 1RMs in them a year...

I think the theory is that a power lifter should save their 1RM for competition and stick to 3RMs because they aren't going to know their maximum potential unless they progress their training to their true 1RM for competition
That may be true in the context of guys who are squatting 1100lbs and pulling 900lbs, but mere mortals can get true 1RMs much more frequently because they're not imparting obscene amounts of stress on their bodies.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:

I think a lot of Glenn, and trust his judgment.
I do not, however, think that Louie would agree with that comment. It seems to contradict ME days.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
I think there's some truth there... where exactly one's 1RM sits is not obvious.

I remember reading a T-nation article that talked about it... the guy who wrote it wasn't exactly articulate, but made good points. He talked about having 3 different 1RM's, which change over time. It went something like:

Your "max": the most weight you can reliably lift in any given session. Right now, this would be about a 280 - 285 squat for me, and of course it changes over time.

Your "max max": A weight you can lift after some dedicated work, in his case generally speaking of the weeks/months leading up to a meet. I once squatted 300 at the end of a very squat-heavy LP progression. I know I could do it again, but not today. I'd have to work back up to it. This changes over time, but fairly slowly. It's probably what they're referring to when they say a "true" 1RM is only possible a couple times per year.

Your "max max max": The best lift of your life. When every factor worked out for the best, and then adrenalin hit and you pushed something you'll never repeat. Most people probably never actually achieve this.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Shaun Gross

Profile:

For what its worth, I weigh between 93kg and 95kg and my max deadlift is 205kg. It's hopefully a little bit higher now though..
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I think a lot of Glenn, and trust his judgment.
I do not, however, think that Louie would agree with that comment. It seems to contradict ME days.
doh.
I think a lot of GREG, too.

Must've been thinking Glenn Pendlay, while reading Greg Everett.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

I'm currently at 410lbs @ body weight of 178lbs. I just started deadlifting in October so I'm shooting for 450lbs + by mid-next year.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Summer Evert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That may be true in the context of guys who are squatting 1100lbs and pulling 900lbs, but mere mortals can get true 1RMs much more frequently because they're not imparting obscene amounts of stress on their bodies.
Jesse Burdick told me competitive weightlifters only test their 1RM deadlift about 2x a year. From what I understand, this particular lift taxes your system more than any other lift and shouldn't be tested regularly if you want a true 1RM.