CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
Michael Dowling
Member Michael Dowling is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Goshen  NY
Posts: 733
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'm older than you, and seem to manage to clean (and jerk, and snatch) without any particular ill effects. If you're getting hurt, especially at "light" weights, fix your form.
the form is pretty good you can look up my post in the digital coaching section, not perfect but certainly nothing in it that screams injury. i've also since improved it. any wrist issues are caused by occasional misses or other things that happen from time to time, nothing major at all.

people can get hurt from certain movements even with good form, i find i can hurt myself at this age by tying my shoes or reaching for the remote too quickly, it sucks but it is what it is.

thanks for the replies i do agree power cleans are very beneficial for certain athletes. i guess my main point was it won't benefit people if they can't go heavier because of mobility or injury issues, so is it worth doing if you can only "go light". power cleaning 160 lbs perfectly is great and all but it isn't going to do anything for power, explosiveness, or strength, it's just too light to be effective for a 200 lb man.

i hurt my trap at 160, any higher i would imagine i would really do some damage.

so i can stay light with power cleans or go heavy with pendlay rows? to me going heavier with pendlay rows would be more beneficial. i subbed in the pendlay rows because that's what the two programs i've read recommend.
__________________
LOG
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
people can get hurt from certain movements even with good form, i find i can hurt myself at this age by tying my shoes or reaching for the remote too quickly, it sucks but it is what it is.
At 34? Dude, you've got some serious mobility issues. I'd suggest working on them hard. A couple yoga classes a week would probably do you more good than any level of strength exercise.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #23
Michael Capalbo
Member Michael Capalbo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Annapolis  MD
Posts: 108
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
the form is pretty good you can look up my post in the digital coaching section, not perfect but certainly nothing in it that screams injury. i've also since improved it. any wrist issues are caused by occasional misses or other things that happen from time to time, nothing major at all.

people can get hurt from certain movements even with good form, i find i can hurt myself at this age by tying my shoes or reaching for the remote too quickly, it sucks but it is what it is.

thanks for the replies i do agree power cleans are very beneficial for certain athletes. i guess my main point was it won't benefit people if they can't go heavier because of mobility or injury issues, so is it worth doing if you can only "go light". power cleaning 160 lbs perfectly is great and all but it isn't going to do anything for power, explosiveness, or strength, it's just too light to be effective for a 200 lb man.

i hurt my trap at 160, any higher i would imagine i would really do some damage.

so i can stay light with power cleans or go heavy with pendlay rows? to me going heavier with pendlay rows would be more beneficial. i subbed in the pendlay rows because that's what the two programs i've read recommend.
If you can power clean your own weight, you're doing pretty well. Maybe not spectacular, but a BW power clean is still fairly impressive.

Well, 160 is 80% of 200. If you can do 80% body weight for reps, you are probably not that far away from a full 100% body weight power clean.

That said, if an exercise "hurts", it is probably best to avoid it. If you can't go above a weight you can do easily for injury concerns (e.g., you rack 160 easily but you feel a risk of hurting yourself) on the clean, then you can't go heavy on the clean, and you need to get your strength in from another movement, and (perhaps) use light cleans for conditioning, rehab, movement patterns, and so on.

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 05-26-2011 at 12:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
adam adkins
Member adam adkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington  KY
Posts: 761
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
If you can power snatch your own weight, you're doing pretty well. Maybe not spectacular, but a BW power snatch is still fairly impressive.
Fixed it for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

If a 160lb power clean (which will continue to go up) "isn't going to do anything for power, explosiveness, or strength" then how heavy do you think a pendlay row is going to have to be to improve power or explosiveness? Yeah, it'll help strength, but won't do particularly much for power or explosiveness...see my previous comment about force/explosiveness/NME.

I'm not saying rows are useless, but comments like the one in your previous post show a fundamental lack of understanding about what the power clean is supposed to accomplish.

Again, treat the cause, not the symptoms--if power cleans hurt because of lack of mobility, getting rid of power cleans is not the solution. Fixing mobility is. I wouldn't throw out squats if my knees hurt, I would address my mobility problems and figure out how to stop squatting poorly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
Michael Dowling
Member Michael Dowling is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Goshen  NY
Posts: 733
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
At 34? Dude, you've got some serious mobility issues. I'd suggest working on them hard. A couple yoga classes a week would probably do you more good than any level of strength exercise.

Katherine
10 years of wrestling, 5 years in the marines, several years roofing and construction have taken their toll. i'm definitely feeling it at my age i won't lie...

yoga looks interesting but it's trying to find out how to do a class without looking like the old bearded creep in the yoga class...

i could never give up strength training it's important to me. going in the next week and lifting more than i lifted the week before is what keeps me motivated.

also i didn't sub the pendlay rows for power cleans to try and replace the power cleans, but because i needed something to fill the void and pendlay rows seemed like a good strength exercise to work in that day. from my understanding nothing could actually fill in for a power clean.
__________________
LOG
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #27
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Fixed it for you.
Thanks for saving me the trouble.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
Michael Capalbo
Member Michael Capalbo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Annapolis  MD
Posts: 108
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
Fixed it for you.
Yes, a power snatch is harder than a power clean with the same weight. I'd rather be able to tell someone I snatched my BW instead of I cleaned my BW. But what is the conversion? How much (as a percentage of body weight) does one have to power clean for it to be "fairly impressive"?

Crossfit Seattle lists a 1x BW power clean as Level III--"advanced".

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 05-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #29
Trey Williams
Member Trey Williams is offline
 
Trey Williams's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga  TN
Posts: 91
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

OP, how's your rack position for your thruster? If you can't rack the barbell efficiently (not necessarily perfectly) with a full grip, you should address that mobility issue. Search 'front rack' on mobilitywod and go to town.
__________________
M/20/6'3/200 Dead: 525 Squat: 385 Bench: 245 Power Clean: 265
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: are power cleans useful for the majority of lifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Capalbo View Post
Yes, a power snatch is harder than a power clean with the same weight. But what is the conversion? How much (as a percentage of body weight) does one have to power clean for it to be "fairly impressive"?
More than bodyweight.

I mean a lot of girls have to have a bodyweight power clean just to be able to do Rx'd power cleans in a WOD.

But, "fairly impressive" is relative. Especially for those of us who hang around a lot of weightlifters.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The efficency of squat cleans versus power cleans Ryan B Smith Exercises 7 03-01-2009 09:15 PM
advise with power cleans and cleans in general Rafael Garcia Exercises 8 09-20-2008 08:45 AM
hang power cleans vs full squat cleans? David Michelson Exercises 3 04-16-2008 12:03 AM
Cleans and power cleans: am I just awkward? Ryan Whipple Exercises 9 09-07-2007 03:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.