CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: GHDs can change your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
I do a lot of GHD raises for posterior chain strength, but rarely do the situps for this reason. There are plenty of other quality core exercises you can do.

Don't remember who posted this, but there was an article on here about ditching the situp in general and how it makes no sense to teach an exercise that makes you exert force when your spine is in a position of flexion. I think it was from EFS or one of those sites...
No matter what the reason, that still sucks big time.

If anyone's interested, here's the article my coaches posted about why we don't do situps as a general rule at our affiliate. Pretty much details exactly what you said, Thomas. :

http://crossfitcc.com/2010/06/16/sit-ups-the-blog-post/ WFS
Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Thomas Green

Profile:

Glad people agree.

This has been a common theme lately. People are afraid to bring up things they don't like about the program being afraid they'll get flamed. The truth is, constructive criticism will only make CF better. It'd be a disservice not to make your opinion know.

Good article. Yep, we don't teach people to squat or deadlift with a rounded back - so why would we teach them to train their core that way? OHS, Front Squats, Planks etc are just as good for the core. And they fit the CF definition of core strength - "the ability to maintain a neutral spine when a force is applied aka midline stability." Situps don't.

HQ really seems to contradict themselves by throwing so many situps/ghd situps into WODs.

All arguments aside, I really do feel for you OP. As someone with a low back injury that kept me out of action for months, I can sort of sympathize.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 09-27-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
GHD's for time is a very, very poor idea. I wish CF would remove it from their programming.
Agreed. Potential benefits are not worth what happens to the people who get messed up using them.

P.S. Meghan, I like the article. One of my pet peeve's in the gym is the people who are constantly doing unnecessary ab exercises.

Last edited by David Meverden : 09-27-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #14
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

As stated before I am very familiar with scaling. Part of my job in SD was to run the fitness enhance program and I was constantly scaling WODs for a wide variety of people.

Never in a million years thought my obsession with CF would cause my life to switch around like this.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

On a related note, it seems to me that the abs muscle get the worst soreness of them all. Why?

I got an Ab Wheel a few weeks back and on the first day could only manage 3 sets of 5, 4, 4 reps. That's with 3 minutes rest in between, and doing them from the knees. Now I have weak abs but I do train them, I can do toes to bar and knees to elbows and hanging leg raises for reps (KTW at least 20, HLR about the same), so I didn't think this would kill me but I had a horrible soreness for several days. 7 days later I tried it again, and on the very first rep the ab pain was so awful that I quit right away. I waited about 4 more days... and on rep 3 I again quit. So I waited about 4 more days... and only then I managed 3 sets of 6 with no pain, but this was about 14-15 days after the first trial in which I did the grand total of 13 reps divided in 3 sets with rest in between (NOT a metcon). Last session I got 20, 20, 14 with 3.5 minutes rest so at least I'm getting better.

Nothing like this has ever happened with another muscle group. Just thought it was odd.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Good old rhabdo or prerhabdo-super DOMS.

Exactly why I wrote this wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...habdomyolysis/

Too bad this stuff doesnt get out more.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I got an Ab Wheel a few weeks back and on the first day could only manage 3 sets of 5, 4, 4 reps.
Speaking of Ab wheels, I attended a small seminar put on by Pavel Tsatsouline many years back. He pulled out his ab wheel, laid flat on his stomach, toes down like in a pushup position. Arms at full stretch overhead holding onto ab wheel and he snapped right up bringing the ab wheel into his feet.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

Quote:
I do a lot of GHD raises for posterior chain strength, but rarely do the situps for this reason. There are plenty of other quality core exercises you can do.

Don't remember who posted this, but there was an article on here about ditching the situp in general and how it makes no sense to teach an exercise that makes you exert force when your spine is in a position of flexion. I think it was from EFS or one of those sites...
here ya go thomas, i read the same article off of EFS

(wfs) STOP ALL CRUNCHES
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #19
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

Quote:
This has been a common theme lately. People are afraid to bring up things they don't like about the program being afraid they'll get flamed. The truth is, constructive criticism will only make CF better. It'd be a disservice not to make your opinion know.
Agreed. Let's talk about sumo deadlift high pulls, knees to elbows, thrusters, and burpees to a 45 degree angle from the earth later.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Thomas Green

Profile:

Good articles