CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
Michael Wengloski

Profile:
GHDs can change your life

Apologize ahead of time for me feeling sorry for myself, I will try to keep this very short.

I am in the Navy and was stationed in San Diego. Aboslutely loved it there. I had been crossfitting for about 2-3 years and in good shape. I decided to take a shot at the dive community.

About one week before my report date to dive prep the workout came up, 3 rounds for time, 10 45# DB thrusters, 30 GHD sit ups. I was slightly worried about the GHDs but had done them before, not in this volume. My girlfriend in attendance I decided to go for the WOD RX'd.

One day passes and i'm fine, day two hits and wow... I have never been this sore in my life. My entire core was so intensely sore that sitting back in a chair hurt. This would be the case for a full week and i was still slightly sore for just over two.

Long story short I show up to dive and when it comes time to do sit ups for our physical test I get to about 25 and my abs give out, i cannot do another sit up. I fail test one and have one week before test two. If i fail test two I am done. Test two comes, i get 28 and can't get up for another. I'm done.

My girlfriend of almost a year, car, household goods are all still in San Diego and before I can even talk to someone I have a new set of orders to Jacksonville, NC. I am currently finishing up a school here and will be staying here for the next two years. I still have not been able to get my car or household goods. I have to fly back on my dime to get them. Oh and while i'm there I get to say bye to my girlfriend.

Careful with GHDs.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Stu Christensen

Profile:
Re: GHDs can change your life

One word....

Scale.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Thomas Green

Profile:

I do a lot of GHD raises for posterior chain strength, but rarely do the situps for this reason. There are plenty of other quality core exercises you can do.

Don't remember who posted this, but there was an article on here about ditching the situp in general and how it makes no sense to teach an exercise that makes you exert force when your spine is in a position of flexion. I think it was from EFS or one of those sites...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
One word....

Scale.
Obviously. But still worth noting. No matter how smart you are with this stuff, ego/motivation/pride/whatever can still easily get in the way. Guilty as charged.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Oh and if you happen to be in the Navy and have connections feel free to get me back on the west coast. So depressed over here... Still two weeks left of school, plenty of time for an order mod.

Last edited by Michael Wengloski : 09-27-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Sorry to hear about that man. Unfortunately I'm no longer in the Navy, so I can't help you on the assignment side.

I feel you on the East Coast thing - I was an Atlantic Fleet type for a while (outta Mayport, FL though - so I can't complain TOO stridently).

On the original subject - it's always a good thing to scale back when you're about to start anything really tough military school (2 weeks before I've found works best). It means you go into a course stronger and fitter than you are normally.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

That sucks big time Michael. Sorry to hear about what happened.

Hopefully people on these message boards will learn from what happened to you and avoid a similar experience.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Boris Bachmann

Profile:

There are a number of questionable exercises in the CF lineup IMHO...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Bachmann View Post
There are a number of questionable exercises in the CF lineup IMHO...
This.

Like I said, plenty of good alternatives for your core. CF is not perfect, no training program is, people need to realize that and have a more open mind when it comes to this type of stuff.

Like the OP said, he had been doing CF for years, was in the navy, and in great shape. Obviously you can throw out the "you should have scaled" card, but that's much easier to say in hindsight. Based off of the OPs background, I would have said he was in good enough shape to do this WOD as RX'd. This is where things can get dangerous...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

GHD's for time is a very, very poor idea. I wish CF would remove it from their programming.

Even OPT got rhabdo after the 2009 Games -- pretty sure it was from the GHD's.