CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: barefoot squatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I deadlift in flats. Most of the people I know who deadlift in oly shoes are quad dominant and the shoe allows them to use their quads more.
I haven't even tried to deadlift in my Oly shoes. I always wear Chucks.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
Ian Nigh

Profile:

wow, great discussion so far.
I also lean towards barefoot lifting. the lack of ankle flexibility argument does not fly with me. if you have flexibility issues, address them! Do not cater to them!
Also, the argument for foot support does not hold water with me. The same argument has been used to justify the need for expensive running shoes. Well, research is revealing that said shoes actually cause more injuries in runners.

I can understand the use of Oly shoes in order to gain a competitive edge, but if you are not competing, then why not work on strengthening your ankles and improving their ROM? Why not strengthen the hundreds of muscles in the feet by the forced adaptation of having to stabilize the load?

This argument seems to have similar positions to the belted v no-belt squatting polemic. perhaps there are times and places for both?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #23
Ian Nigh

Profile:

having just said that, here is a very thoughtful post from Patrick, in a another forum on this same topic:

"There are better ways to train ankle flexibility than squatting, particularly when you have a tendency toward SI flexion injuries. Anything that restricts ROM is going to cause a tendency for your weak point to give way. Squatting barefoot will pull on your hamstrings from below, which means they will pull harder on your back above, and you will be more likely to round your back under load - exactly what you are trying to avoid. If you want to improve ankle flexibility, do that explicitly. Perform regular pnf stretching of ankles and hamstrings to improve the ROM and make the job of your lower back easier. If you want to squat barefoot, do it with no load - perhaps working your flexibility in a stripper squat, but keep the shoes on for loaded squats. Give your back all the help you can, while working to strengthen it in more controlled ways than a back squat."
Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #24
Albert Chang

Profile:

I've never had an issue with my foot rolling around or whatever while squatting. When I plant my foot to squat, it's planted; it's not going anywhere. Also, the soles in the VFF's aren't really squishy. If they are, it's negligible.

At first I was thinking about getting weightlifting shoes, for the olympic lifts and loaded squats, to improve my lumbar curve. However, I've been doing those lifts for some time now, and I've seen increased strength and flexibility to the point where I question whether or not I should get weightlifting shoes. I'll probably still get them just to try them out, but whether I'll continue to use them only time can tell.

I'd also like to say that I've run into a trainer who preferred barefoot to weightlifting shoes. He said he just didn't like the rise of the heel. It could have just been Rogue's heels were too high. Actually, before talking to him, I was sold on the idea of buying weightlifting shoes.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Ian Nigh

Profile:

what about using a mat or something to just elevate the heels while squatting barefoot?

this way, you retain the advantages of lifting in bare feet (straightening the ankle and foot muscles) while placing the body in a more mechanically advantageous position reducing the probability of injury.
Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #26
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Are you suggesting trying to step onto a matt with close to your max squat on your back?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
Chris Mason

Profile:

I've squatted barefoot, but I don't see it as anything I want to really strive for. What do proponents of it think it does for you?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #28
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Quote:
Are you suggesting trying to step onto a matt with close to your max squat on your back?
...as many bodybuilders do. Globo gyms usually keep a shim at the squat rack for this purpose. I think stepping back a foot or two to bring your heel to rest on a mat is not a big challenge...

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 03-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #29
Johannes Aro

Profile:

Quote:
If I put my foot on the ground, I can move it around more than I can move in my Oly shoes. The skin has some play and the ankle and arch can move some. The shoe eliminates this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ricksecker
I think the argument for oly shoes is that the straps and material above the foot actually assist in pressing your foot to the sole with down force and also secure them laterally. You can't really compare the ground to the sole as an infinite surface area. Perhaps if you set up little straps on the floor that you slide your feet under(which would be extremely dangerous), then the argument would be similar. But by fastening the straps to the top of your feet and applying pressure between your foot and the sole, you decrease the ability of the foot to role around in that space.
Yes, the foot definitely moves around at its place. I noticed yesterday doing front squats that the feet dip a little inside (is it called pronation?). I guess this is what the lifting shoe eliminates.

But on the other hand, the foot does not slip from its place where it is set. I assume that there are many many important little muscles in the foot that keep the whole thing together. Is it then a good thing that the lifting shoe makes these muscles harder to do their job?

And further, is the foot not supposed to bend and twist when you do a squat? Because, many other muscles that take part in the movement move in who knows what ways, and no-one feels the need to eliminate those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki
As far as protection goes, it's not to protect you but the rest of us. The shoe keeps the blood off the platform.
Let the blood dry, it will give you an awesome grip, shoes or no shoes.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:20 AM   #30
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
...as many bodybuilders do. Globo gyms usually keep a shim at the squat rack for this purpose. I think stepping back a foot or two to bring your heel to rest on a mat is not a big challenge...
I think that you are a bit silly here. The whole argument in this thread about barefoot vs. shoes, is based on the fact that everyone agrees that the foot should be as stable as possible. You're suggesting that while your max squat weight is resting on your back, that you back yourself up and rest half of your foot on an unstable & squishy mat? No thanks.

Unless I'm missing something here.