CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Chris, will give this a go and find out for myself the next time I am in the gym but I am curious about the effect that reducing the damper session will have on speed.

To date I have been in the 10 category and have got pretty comfortable holding around 1:45's for up to 2000m at around 29 - 31spm and round 1.30's for a 500 sprint. No expert rower by any stretch, just had a few years surf-boat rowing back in Oz. No particular reason for the 10 apart from simplistic harder is better thinking.

Anyways, just after any thoughts/ predictions you may have as well as any hints for the transition down. Also, have I been kidding myself with my speeds using a high damper?

Cheers, kempie.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Kemp, What is occring when you are using the erg with a damper of 10 - you are resorting to strength pulling as opposed to using aerobic endurance. Do not get me wrong in regards to using aerobic endurance at a 10 - you do, however, stregth is emphasized more so at that position. While having a 10 may decrease your split - you get tired faster - so thus by reducing the damper - while you may feel like you are pulling light - you should be around the same pace if not faster and by the time you finish the first 1500 meter be more tired from aerobic work then the anarobic work.

And just to compare - I am not sure how old or heavy you are. But last year at 166lbs and 6'3 I went 6:23 (1.35.8 split) on the 2k. I've gone faster since then but am not allowed to disclose my time due to my College's rules regarding the matter.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Rowing technique - An animation discussing the finer points of erging.

http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/rower_alex_anim.html

The only thing I disagree with is the portion of the finish where they say "Pull handle all the way into your abdomen" While correct I must emphasize that you should pull into your UPPER abdomen (figure an inch below your nipples).

Old 09-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #14
Chris Wyant

Profile:
One other thing - sorry for frequency of posts- I just recieved a message from a User questioning my credentials.

While the user's name will remain confidential -

Here they are...
Began rowing when I was 12 years old for former Russian olympic womens head coach (72,76,80,84). Subseqently thereafter I have been trained by the following olympic head coaches - 1988 and 92 German Womens Quadruple Scull coach, 1976 and 80 Romanian Olympic 8, MIT means head coach 91-95. I could continue with the list of coaches however I believe you get the idea.

In regards to accomplishments - I am a national Champion, missed going to Junior Worlds due to acute athletes induced asthma that occured in middle of final qualifying race (but thats not to say that the person who went did not deserve to go - he is a good friend and won his position fair), was ranked as #14 junior Lightweight Ergometer rower in the world, and was subsequently recruited to UWashington - one of the most highly decorated crews of the United States.

Anyone else want to question my credentials? I have another 2 pages to go.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Man that article makes me miss spring season. Where do you live and row now?
Old 09-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
Jim Butts

Profile:
Chris W., thanks for the intro to a very thorny subject. I see that you're a student at UW. Are on the Husky crew?

I see the damper setting issue as being somewhat like the gearing on a bike. Not exactly, but close. Just like there is a time and a place for diferent gears/ratios on a bike, so it is with the damper setting. You normally wouldn't hammer along on a slight upgrade in your 53x12 at 65 rpm on your bike. You would be far more 'efficient', esaier on your body, and yes, faster, by dropping your gearing somewhat. If 90-95 rpm or so is the most efficient way to ride, there are many diferent factors that will get you there (gearing, wind, terrain, how you feel, etc.)

Now having said that, there's a time to hammer. Tooling along at 90 rpm when you're trying to pr during the last kilometer of a time trial won't cut it. But in order to crank up the intensity you have to have a base of fitness for that sport, analagous to Chris' reference to hurting yourself with the damper set at 10 on the erg. Therefore, I think your damper/drag/strokes per minute (and whether you use straps or not)should be entirely a function of what you're trying to accomplish for a given workout and yes, that means usually much lower than 10 at 35 spm. Just like the bike. Chris' chart showing the most efficient drag for your bodyweight (damper 4 on my erg is a drag of 135, which is about right for my large bodyweight, according to the chart)would be roughly equivalent to pacing at around 90-95 on the bike. But if you're doing a Crossfit workout of 500's mixed in with thrusters for time, I would say that a damper of 4 wouldn't get you your fastest time. Nor would a damper of 10, in all likelihood. In that case I find 6-8 is best for me. Same with an all out 2000m pr. But if I'm going for a 500m pr, it's 10 and 35 for as long as I can take it, baby!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #17
Jim Butts

Profile:
I really do know the difference between different and diferent...

Old 09-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #18
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Brendan - Jim was correct - I do row for UWashington on the Husky Crew. I was knocked out of commision last year due to mono that I had for 7-8 months and subsequently am using crossfit to get back into shape for the upcoming year.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #19
Beth Moscov

Profile:
this is awesome Chris. I knew that the C2 folks recommended the 3-5 range and that it most simulated being on the water but didn't know why. And the clarification of where to pull to is great!

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Old 09-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #20
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Thanks for the reply Chris. I look forward to having a play sometime during the week and will report back if anyone is interested. BTW for your query about age and weight I am 30 and round about 185.

Cheers, kempie