CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Hey all, I just learned a great new exercise from our Gunner onboard our ship...(sorry for the sexually exclusive name, but he's an old gunner's mate chief, you'll have to excuse him)....

Anyway, a "man-maker" is performed like this:

Grab two dumbells of manageable size for rows/dumbell squats...

the man-maker is a jump-squat-thrust/body-builderesque based exercise so most positions resemble those...

1) start in the push-up position with hands on db's, complete a push up.

2) row one of the db's after you're in the up position of the push-up, then place db back on the ground and do another push-up.

3) repeat 2) but with your other arm performing the row at up portion of push-up

4) jump your feet near your hands (just like a squat thrust).

5) clean and press the db's

6) after the press bring db's to waist height and squat down until you can rest db's on deck slightly in front of your body.

7) jump back into push up position and repeat.

After the WOD I tried these today and I was winded after 3...I used 35lb DB's...

Anyway thought it was a great exercise...thanks GUNNER.

Aush
Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Aushion - Sounds brutal. I love it and will introduce it into my workouts to be sure. Coach Davies, Renegade Training, has an exercise he calls the renegade row which is just the push up one hand row portion of your much more demanding exercise. Adding the squat thrust and clean and press is perfectly diabolical.

Tell your shipmate gunner he rocks and that he has likely spawned a following with this terrific exercise. What's his name? We have to call it something. Lacking something else clever perhaps we should put his name on it.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That sounds like a great exercise. We did something similar to that in one WOD. Basically it was burpees with a jump at the end. No pushup, I don't think, but adding the dumbells to the jump made it hurt.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
His name is McDonell...Close to McDonalds...but not quite so I'm not sure what to do with the naming of it.

By the way glad to see Lynne tomorrow, she's my favorite other than Chelsea who's my other favorite...(anyone heard Brian Regan ; )

Aush
Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Butch White

Profile:

What about using kettlebells instead of the db's? I wish I had a second 1 pood kettlebell so I to try this "man-maker" with two kettlebells instead of the dumbbells.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
How about McGunners?

Daryl's KB idea is the way Pavel and Coach Davies do it. The dumbbells are way too stable. On another thread there is a discussion of the "Prisoner's workout" which is an 8 count pushup. Burpee to two pushups and back up.

What if we supersize the McGunner?

Squat down and grab the KBs and do a clean and press. Set them back down and kick your feet back. Do a push up. Do one row with each hand. Pull your feet back up. Jump up and do a pullup. Drop off the bar. That's one.

I like the sound of that one. Here's the one time supersizing is actually good for you.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Man I love this stuff....
Aushion - ever try jacknife situps lying athwartship (port to starboard) at sea? It should compliment the man-maker and round out the whole body. Doing them at sea on the steel beach (fantail of our cruiser) while rolling in the waves added to the exercise.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Athwartship. Every time I say that I laugh at the sound.

"Hey, Dad, what kind of boat is that?"

"Well thun that there ith athwarthip."

"Thanks Dad. Stop spitting on me."

I have a picture in my mind of a large, swarthy...swarthy, there's another funny word, "My, he certainly is swarthy", anyway, big sailor standing on the forecastle, no shirt, anchor tattoo...

"Hey chief. How ya want this 40 fathoms of chow line laid out?"

"Thwing that line thwew the thtarbird thimble tho we can pull it tight athwartship. By the way, do these pants make me look swarthy?"

Old 02-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Butch, no kb's here and on a ship we're pretty unstable already, but that'd be impressive.

Eugene, lol, love your above post, and yeah I like "McGunners"...and the supersize version sounds awesome I'll show those to him.

James, never thought to do those before...I think I'll start a seperate post, not sure how many squids (navy) and sponges (marines) we have on this site...but....

Aush
Old 02-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
Mike Burgener

Profile:
fun, fun, fun in my pe class today, watching my advanced class (semi studs) doing these!!! i had them TRY to dod 3 x 10 reps. of course i told them these were called: MAN MAKERS and every kid HAD to do them!!! today----'coach i am soooo sore!!! coach, you made me cry!!!!" got to love that man maker!!!!