CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #21
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Kipping Styles

Carlos, get the mental block out of your head. A lot of military comment on this. Rather than "undoing" anything, focus on learning a new exercise. You don't have to "undo" press form to learn the push press. These are the same. Enjoy.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #22
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Yes Grant, thanks. Of course I won't be undoing anything, I guess I should have wrote building discipline and proficiency in a different technique as opposed to the one that has been predominantly engrained in me through training.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #23
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Annie's kip: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...g1-Concept.wmv . Eva's kip is shown by most of the others (the long arc with legs mostly together).

AFT's kip (as well as Leonid's demo on how to do it, we should thank him again for this): http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

All safe links.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #24
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Thanks for the links Brandon, those were great. He was generating enough power on his kip in bothvideo links that the hands were actually coming off the bar slightly from what I could tell.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #25
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

What does AFT mean?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Brett Marshall's nickname. Someone said it might stand for Advanced Force Training yet I'm not sure.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #27
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Hmmm... AFT's looks to me like it would be much more fatiguing. Just looking at the motion, he comes pretty much straight down from the bar after every rep. This forces him to actively slow his 'fall' or risk shoulder injury... His speed is amazing, but I wonder if a slightly arc-ed fall would let you preform more reps at a comparable speed (slightly longer ROM, but you'd theoretically be traveling/accelerating faster as you wouldn't have to slow your drop- you could actively push away and down)?

Last edited by Skylar Cook : 01-07-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #28
Pat McElhone

Profile:

I am finally starting to develop the swinging kip after about 5 months of working at it. I worked with a CF coach and his instruction was the key.

The swing feels the most effortless and efficient. Prior to learning it, I was doing a pull-up/chin-up like Greg A (who is a beast and his pull-ups work for him). I could put up some decent numbers, but my grip was getting killed. After learning the swinging kip (and not wrapping my thumb around the bar) I took 30s off my Fran time. I think this was a result of not fatiguing (sp?) my grip on the pull-ups.

I believe so many CFers (especially us garage gym guys) never take the time to learn it or give up on it and only do "strict pull-ups". The problem is a MU is much easier if you know how to kip and , IMHO, I think this a big reason so many people fail at MUs even though they can easily do 15 pull-ups and dips.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #29
Marc Wheeler

Profile:

With all the posts about various kipping styles and the remarks from different people about their particular tweak on a given “style” of kipping (Anne, Eva T, ATF, etc.)…what really defines a kipping pull-up?

Do you have to get your head above the bar? Do you have to "pull" up to the bar (as opposed to "swing"/kick up to it)? How far down do you have to go at the bottom of the kip? How far away from the bar can you be at the top of the kip/pull/kick?

A strict hanging pull-up is relatively easy to identify and has certain hallmarks (head over the bar at the top, arms fully extended at the bottom). What are the hallmarks of a kipping pull-up? Are there common metrics or standards or performance points that count as a kipping pull-up no matter whose style you use (even your own style) or what variation on that style you use?

My question being that even if you use your own crazy kip, how do you know if it "counts" (like at the CrossFit Games for example)?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Chin above bar. It works for all forms of kipping. Furthermore, I don't know of anyone who tries a CTI at the top of their pull-up.