CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #21
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: The Crossfit cop-out?

I hate running more than 200m, period. It hurts and it's not nearly as fun, to my mind, as the rest of the workout.
If I had access to a rower I'd love it - for one thing, it's winter here. And I have cold urticaria, which means that I break out in hives from exposure to cold on my skin, with the potential of an anaphylactic reaction with deadly consequences if I overdo it, despite the antihistamine that I take nightly. I'm subbing jumping rope lately.
And hey, I canoe - think rowing has any r/l applications there? :-)

Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #22
mike obrien

Profile:

the problem with distance running is that it takes a ton of time and i don't think there are many carryover benefits, except to other endurance exercises. endurance can be improved in other forms of exercise that have additional benefits. high rep compound lifts will improve endurance and strength, in a shorter time, where distance running will only improve endurance. +1 for distance running being boring and miserable.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
I never ran anythig over 800 meters and then ran a 5k in 21:40 which is 4 minutes faster than when I was running all the time.

You want to run more - run. What's the problem? Rest days -> active recovery -> put on the sneakers and run.

This is a great program freely available to everybody, respect it and be thankful.
I'm with you there. Although my run times still blow, they constantly get much much better through the WOD's.

Heck, I do CF to train off-ice for speedskating. I'm not sad that there's no Tabata "slap on 17-inch blades to carbon fiber boots and skate around the edges of your local ice rink for 9 laps, which is about 1000 meters. Rest 1 minute, repeat for a total of 8 sets. Your slowest 1000m time is your score, shoot for under 2 minutes" WOD.

Wait a minute, that would be a great WOD.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #24
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike obrien View Post
the problem with distance running is that it takes a ton of time and i don't think there are many carryover benefits, except to other endurance exercises. endurance can be improved in other forms of exercise that have additional benefits. high rep compound lifts will improve endurance and strength, in a shorter time, where distance running will only improve endurance. +1 for distance running being boring and miserable.
Yep.

This is pretty how much I see it. My "distance" running consists of lots of sprints intervals or metcons (or tabatas which also work) which give me pretty good endurance besides increasing cardiovascular output and those other normally "endurance" characteristics.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Anthony: That was constructive... This rant isn't sudden; it's the result of 18 months of seeing some Crossfitters avoiding "long" runs.
On one hand you make it sound like the program is at fault. On the other hand you make it sound like the individual is at fault. Maybe you should clarify what it is you are saying.

Are you concerned that Coach is not pushing us hard enough? You are more than welcome to develop an army of Runners that will rival this crowd in all things fitness.

Why are you so concerned with what other people are doing anyway? Is it affecting your fitness? Are you aware that the top 3 males at the CrossFit Games don't add any additional running to their program? Btw, they have a 5km time of 18:30, 18:45, 20:19, they all deadlift over 400 pounds, and they all have a sub 3 minute Fran.

Do you see what I'm getting at? CrossFit already uses enough running to extract the benefit without the drawbacks. And for those who duck the longer runs, until you speak with each one individually, you can't really fault them. Weather, injury, and more important sports all play a factor when making decisions.

So while my original post may have been blunt, the theme still rings true - you're over reacting.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #26
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

Double post

Last edited by Jay Hanewinkel : 12-20-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: double post

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #27
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

You need to reread the "what is fitness" issue of cfj.

Excessive Distance running is not only unnecessary but does little to nothing to improve fitness.

You don't need anything more than high intensity interval training and anaerobic training. And it doesn't have to be running.

Jump off the Kenneth Cooper bandwagon. The wheels fell off a long time ago.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #28
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
On one hand you make it sound like the program is at fault. On the other hand you make it sound like the individual is at fault. Maybe you should clarify what it is you are saying.

Are you concerned that Coach is not pushing us hard enough? You are more than welcome to develop an army of Runners that will rival this crowd in all things fitness.

Why are you so concerned with what other people are doing anyway? Is it affecting your fitness? Are you aware that the top 3 males at the CrossFit Games don't add any additional running to their program? Btw, they have a 5km time of 18:30, 18:45, 20:19, they all deadlift over 400 pounds, and they all have a sub 3 minute Fran.

Do you see what I'm getting at? CrossFit already uses enough running to extract the benefit without the drawbacks. And for those who duck the longer runs, until you speak with each one individually, you can't really fault them. Weather, injury, and more important sports all play a factor when making decisions.

So while my original post may have been blunt, the theme still rings true - you're over reacting.
Anthony, I was going to post a lengthy response to this thread, but you more than summed it up. Great answer!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:

Yes, what Anthony said!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #30
Kurt Schneider

Profile:

In preparation for a local 13-mile off-road race earlier this year, I made a decision to vary what I was going to do to build endurance. The longest run I did in the two months prior to race day was 4 miles. The rest of the work came from cycling, rowing, and lifting. I figured I'd be out there for no more than two hours, and made sure I was able to handle a sustained effort for at least that length of time.

I really like trail running, but assumed that at 45 years old with one knee surgery behind me, I shouldn't pack on a ton of miles before a race in the hills. In the end I didn't have to worry about the mileage, but the variety certainly made the training easier. Breaking it up into smaller chunks also improved the odds that I'd get it all done at some point during the day.

Running or rowing shouldn't be an issue: The important thing is doing the work.

Have a great weekend!

Closed Thread