CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #101
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: barefoot squatting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Bauersfeld View Post
I am curious if there is a definitive test for squat inflexibility and what is the test?

For example, I can get down in the bottom of my squat (unweighted and barefoot) and maintain chest up, knees tracking out over feet, lumbar arch, and weight on heels until my hip crease is well below my knee crease.

Would it follow from this test alone that I have no flexibility issues related to squatting?
Can you also do it with PVC in a front rack position? Overhead? If so, then your flexibility is fine.

My flexibility is very good, but the issues I do have are mostly in my upper back. Squatting with a bar is much more difficult than with my arms free.

Katherine
Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #102
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
From another board, on the topic of squatting in dress shoes. By the way, if you squat 5 plates, not one with bother regardless of what you wear

But along with the hard *** attitude, I try to help as many people as I can. Makes me feel good and it's one less person who will curl in the squat rack.

Another time at the gym, there is a friends of mine who was starting olympic lifting. He was working out in running shoes. I told him to get squatting shoes, but he was low on funds so I told him to wear his dress shoes. Did it and loved it (not as much as the weightlifting shoes he has now, but still).

So we are working out together and he's wearing black dress shoes with white socks, shorts and a t shirt, snatching or Cleaning. Someone walks by and says something about his shoes and gives him a bit of hell for it.

I ask "Hey, how much do you snatch?". He backs up alittle and gives a weak "what". "I said, how much do you snatch?" I demonstrate, kids says he doesn't. "How much do you clean?" I demonstrate. "No I don't do that either". "Squat, how much do you squat?". "185", "how deep" he shows me a quarter squat.

I then say "You don't do the olymipc lifts and you squat like a ***** *** little girl and yet you think you are entitled to an opinion about what kind of footwear one should wear while snatching, cleaning and squatting like a man? If you knew anything you would understand that a dress shoe has a slightly elevated, incompressible heel, which is the halmarks of a good shoe for weight training. Now take your uninformed arrogant *** somewhere else, we're working here and frankly don't have the time for your ****"
This is great.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #103
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

So, for whatever it's worth, after reading this thread I ordered a pair of Do-wins, and I just did my first workout with them. I'm in my 4th week of SS, which I've done totally barefoot, and I feel like an idiot for not getting some earlier. Huge difference, it just feels "right" now when I'm squatting.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #104
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ragona View Post
So, for whatever it's worth, after reading this thread I ordered a pair of Do-wins, and I just did my first workout with them. I'm in my 4th week of SS, which I've done totally barefoot, and I feel like an idiot for not getting some earlier. Huge difference, it just feels "right" now when I'm squatting.

Thanks guys.
It is good to know someone benefited
Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #105
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ragona View Post

Thanks guys.
Have fun
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #106
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Threads like these helped inspire me to finally get some shoes.

Ordered a pair of Rips.