CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Will Nuse

Profile:
Looking for thoughts on NB Minimus Trail 10v2, MO10s

Been rocking the Minimus Trail 10v1 (pumpkin style! wfs) for around two years now and the tread is finally wearing down to the rubber. Great, great shoe - surprised the heck out of me when I first tried it on. It's time for some new kicks. I'd like to get the 10v1 in black, but I think they're getting ready to phase out the original model since it's only available in my size in one color (not black). I've tried Vivobarefoot (don't fit) and Inov8 (don't fit); don't want to WOD in VFF. NB is kinda it for me.

After some research, I've found a fair number of folks who have had issues with the Minimus Trail (and Road) Zero durability, so I'm staying away from those. Conversely, I've been hearing good things about the MO10s, which sound like they're the MT10s with a new, water resistant and warmer upper. I haven't seen (m)any personal reviews of the MT10v2, though, and am curious how it stacks up to the original.

If anyone has experience with either the MT10v2 or the MO10s, give me a shout. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:
Re: Looking for thoughts on NB Minimus Trail 10v2, MO10s

I've been running my Minimus Roads for over a year now and I wear them 4-5 days week for work and WODs and they're still in great shape. Probably my favorite shoe to CF in so far. The MT10v2 will be about an ounce lighter, and should be a little more flexible around the toe box then it's predecessor.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Will Nuse

Profile:

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the MT10v2. Got an email back from NB - the MT10v1 isn't being manufactured anymore...

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

hey not sure where you were going to order your new balance shoes but I have ordered my last few pair from joesnewbalanceoutlet.com (WFS)
Someone on this forum pointed it out to me. I got my last pair of the MT10's for $55. The MR10's (or whatever the minimus road running version are) are only $35 right now.

I wear my MT10's for everything, though I do change into my DoWin's for OLY lifts when going heavy. But I wear the MT10's for all WOD's. They are awesome.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Will Nuse

Profile:

Thanks for the heads up - will check them out.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Ben McDonald

Profile:

I haven't tried the MT10V2 yet, but I am a nut for the original and a bit of a running shoe geek. They, supposedly, did nothing but loosen the metatarsal band, cut down the height of the heel liner, removed the ankle tab and replaced the upper with a material closer to the MR00s. That helped them cut ~1oz of weight. They also added lugs to the instep of the arch and shrunk the overall lug size, which may impact how the shoe performs on rope climbs (I like the arch pocket on the original MT10s).

I have tried the MR10V2s and they will not be making it into any sort of WOD that involves lifting or air squats any time soon. The foam in the heel is way too soft and unstable. Granted, that was fresh out of the box, but I'm going to keep those in the running shoe only pile for now. Hopefully, the foam they used for the new MT10s isn't the same.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

The sole of the MR is quite different than the MT. As you mentioned the MR has more foam which would give you less of a solid base when lifting than the MT's do. I've said the same thing about my MR's-just for running! Maybe box jumps too, hmm...
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Will Nuse

Profile:

Little update:

I ended up getting the MT10v2 and the MO10 as well. Since the MO's came in black uppers with red stitching and sole sidewalls, they have become my primary workout shoe with the MT10v2's as my walkaround shoes with occasional workouts.

The MT10v2s felt a little uncomfortable out of the box; thought they had more arch support than they should for what they are, but that went away quickly. I actually like the MT10v2's better as a workout shoe than the MO10s, and will probably get another pair of them sometime in the future for that purpose. Like the MT10v1 before them, the MO10s tend to form a gap around my ankle when they're laced up (probably due to my flat feet). The MT10v2s don't do this as prominently and feel like they're molded to my feet better. The MO10s are also much warmer than I was expecting. There's a kind of fleece-like liner on the inside of the upper, which is itself a stiffer and less water-absorptive material than those of the MT10s. If I had to pick, I'd go with the MT10v2s over the MO10s, unless you have a need for a slightly insulated shoe that can handle a little water.