CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Jeff Howard

Profile:  
Being new to the whole CF methodology, I have a question after a few workouts.

I'm an average 40 yo dude that wants to get back in shape. Recently I did 5 sets of pushups and the next day experienced intermittent sharp pain in one wrist. Mostly I felt it when I bent my hand back like when I would push myself up from the bed or when I was holding something like a jug of milk. I also noticed it some when I would twist my wrist like washing my hands or drying them off. It was localized on my wrist straight down from my pinkie.

I iced it down and held off doing any exercises that caused pain, and gradually it's getting better. I have already decided to alter my hand position in the future for pushups, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions as to what's going on or how I could improve it.

I'm thinking it's just overuse, but just wanted to get some advice from experiences Crossfitters.

Thank you.
Jeff Howard
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hello Jeff and welcome to CF. My 2c is to ask if you have ever suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome in the past. The wrist has eight bones, arranged in two rows of four which then fit into a shallow socket where the forearm bones meet. Coupled with tendons and nerves there is quite a lot going on in there so it is hard to say where exactly the problem might be originating from. Having said that, I would reorientate your hand positioning as you stated. By using those tube grips for pushups instead of having your hands in a pushing position. Icing is good, also try rotating your wrist around without weight to see if you can better isolate the pain. Change the distance/spacing between your hands. Do either a wide grip or close grip to see the results. If you feel that your progress is only nominal, I would consult a physician to make sure. This is just my opinion and hopefully someone else can chime in with better advice.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Peter, you better watch out b/c we may get flamed for offering advice on a message board :-)

Jeff, a decent first guess would some type of articular dysfunction present in the midcarpal joint. This is the area between the two rows of 4 bones. It hurts often with extension based movements of the wrist. Flexion of the wrist often hurts the radiocarpal joint, which is the area btw. the forearm bones and the first row of carpals.

Someone trained in assessing normal intersegmental range of motion should be able to localize the area and, basically wiggle it free (physio, chiro, DO etc.)

Oh yeah, watch out for cysts, stress fractures and all the other bad stuff.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Jeff Howard

Profile:  
Thanks Peter and William for the replies. I'm happy to report my wrist is feeling fine, but I haven't done any pushups since!:uhoh:

I've been trying to stretch my forearms and rotate my wrists so hopefully that will help. I'm also strengthening my grip and will do pushups using two dumbells for a while. I can't recall ever having any pain in my wrist, so I'm hopefull it was just an overuse kind of thing. That day I think I over-did it. Since then I've been doing regular ol' dumbell bench presses. :blush:

Thanks again for the (non)advice. LOL
Jeff
Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Wink, Wink!!:wink:
Old 03-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Jeff, I hurt my wrist in November and had to alter the way I do pushups until just recently. Try putting your hands on a small pair of dumbbells, and angle the dbs slightly, it allows your wrist to be in a more neutral position, alleviating some of the stress.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I think your on the right track Jeff. Continue to strech your wrist musculature until you can comfortably hold your wrist extended >90degrees and then start slowly working back into a few pushups at a time. If it still causes you pain after that I would have it checked out.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
Dallas Hartwig

Profile:  
Jeff, glad to hear your wrist is better. Like you said, you are subjecting your body to new and exciting methods of torture, so there will be an adaptation or "breaking in" period. I had pretty much the same type of wrist discomfort when I started doing barbell cleans, snatches, and front squats because my wrists weren't flexible enough, but with gradual progression and time, they loosened up enough and stopped hurting altogether. Hope it's that simple for you. Cheers,

Dallas