CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
Some people workout and exercise but eat like crap, using the excuse that since they workout they can eat pizza and McDonald's. Others eat good, clean diets eating only organic, free range products and avoid any and all junk food but never exercise saying they live a healthy lifestyle and don't need to exercise.

So I ask, which is better/worse? Yeah we all know both arguments hold about as much water as a funnel and quite frankly that's not the point of the argument. I myself am neither of these two extremes but like most people, and I'll admit to it that I probably lean more one way than the other. For myself it's probably the workout camp and eat like crap camp but by no means am I a pizza and Mickey D's man. I do my best to keep it paleo and in the zone but I enjoy my small nibbles of chocolate and cheese now and again, but only the really expensive stuff. $6 for a chocolate bar that took me a month and half to eat, well worth it...

Anyways, rambling now, I'm going to side with the workout side as I think that exercise and physical activity is the basis of a healthy lifestyle, not the organic veggies, organic meat you eat (or don't eat), the amount of filtered ozonated bottled water you drink each day or the aspertaine you avoid.

As I write this though I can't help but looking at my family and although they're physically active, my mom walks lots and my sister's in kick boxing and Tae Kwon Do, think that if they simply dropped/limited the amount of potatoes they ate, how the extra pounds they're always wanting to lose would peel right off, but alas.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #2
Chris Jordan

Profile:
If I had to pick between the two I would choose eating clean over exercising and eating junk. I think clean eating alone would provide longer lasting health than the best workout program devised plus a steady diet of Big Mac's, fries and soda. I have tried eating junk while working out. My blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol were all high.

If this is right you could eat clean, introduce some IF and end up with similar benefits to exercise:
"Interestingly, cellular and molecular effects of IF [Intermittent fasting] and CR [caloric restriction] on the cardiovascular system and the brain are similar to those of regular physical exercise, suggesting shared mechanisms."
From: http://www.arthurdevany.com/archives...ittent_ea.html
Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I think Crossfit also considers nutrition as the base of the fitness pyramid. Followed by metabolic conditioning, gymnastics, weightlifting, and sport, if I remember correctly.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I'm gonna go with Chris and Chris...eat clean and not workout is better than workout and eat bad. As they say, diet is 75% of the equation.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Eat clean.