CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
On Ramp / Foundations Expectations

I wanted to hear how other gyms set expectations on movement technique in their On Ramp or Foundations classes.

Specifically I'm wondering how you handle people who are slow to catch on to a movement or have big mobility issues that prevent good technique?

I'm rewriting our Foundations class while on vacation. One of the issues is it has been running too long each night. Much of this comes from spending a lot of time with folks trying to get things straightened out.

I want our system to run smoothly and on schedule. I also don't want to dump people into our regular classes with very poor technique. As we get larger I'm worried about maintaining high movement standards with larger groups.

Thanks for any insight into solutions for these issues.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: On Ramp / Foundations Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I wanted to hear how other gyms set expectations on movement technique in their On Ramp or Foundations classes.

Specifically I'm wondering how you handle people who are slow to catch on to a movement or have big mobility issues that prevent good technique?

I'm rewriting our Foundations class while on vacation. One of the issues is it has been running too long each night. Much of this comes from spending a lot of time with folks trying to get things straightened out.

I want our system to run smoothly and on schedule. I also don't want to dump people into our regular classes with very poor technique. As we get larger I'm worried about maintaining high movement standards with larger groups.

Thanks for any insight into solutions for these issues.
Ours is 5 classes. Basically, on day 1, I tell them that this is going to get them to better understand the movements. Practice, come early, stay late, watch videos, ask for help....in the future. Don't get frustrated if you cannot do something. Consider this for first golf lesson, piano lesson, etc. Some of this stuff is going to be difficult. The worst decision you can make is to stop because you don't think, "I'm the best one here" or "I am by far the most out of shape person in this place".....both people are wrong.

In the end, it's a business. If you only allow the best most efficient people to join; your place will be empty. I think it's VERY important for them to understand what scaling is, and that it's purpose is for them to improve, and learn the fundamentals, not to hold them back because we don't want them to succeed.

Many people more like total crap. Give them a drill, or something to do to help them; and move on to the next person. Or ask them to come 20mins early to the next class, and work with them. DON'T CHARGE THEM FOR THAT 20MINS! Show them you care, and will go the extra mile, and they will not go anywhere. If they still struggle, recommend coming to an 1 on 1 with a trainer. It's unrealistic to think that everyone is going to grasp the movements; in some cases, EVER!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Greg Keeter

Profile:

We tell our Foundations classes that we don't expect them to "get it" today or even soon. Its more of an introduction to the movement and to our coaching. We set their expectations low by pointing out that many of the movements we do are skills that take time to develop. Sometimes a lot of time. That the CrossFit approach is best thought of as a challenging, but doable and sustainable.

Almost all the details of a movement can be thought of in two ways: safety and efficiency. Safety is obviously important but pretty straightforward and of limited number. Efficiency has many more moving parts and is where we spend most of our time. This theme of ensuring safety and constantly working on efficiency is one that is both accurate and comforting to most newbies.

Yesterday I used an analogy of driving a car. Safety is keeping the car between the white lines. Hopefully everyone will do that, but if you don't then someone will notice and come "help" you. Efficiency is like maintaining a certain speed without the use of cruise control. To keep your speed within one MPH over time is challenging. It takes focus and concentration and depending on the road you'll have to modify your efforts. Some people have a hard time with it and sometimes go too fast or too slow. Not efficient.

Along with this message is that for them to get better they have to do two things. First, come often, and second, try hard. If they do these two things they will get better. It's more important they understand its a journey and there are no quick fixes. It's persistent work and effort in a supervised and supportive environment that makes the difference.

Of course there are other important things too such as nutrition, etc. But it all starts with their commitment and understanding that nothing worth having comes without sacrifice.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

Im gonna do a mini hijack here, sorry- Does everyone charge extra for the on-ramp class? Does everyone make it mandatory? I am very doubtful anyone where I live (CrossFit is not well-known) will pay for a class in ADDITION to a membership.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia Grunwaldt View Post
Im gonna do a mini hijack here, sorry- Does everyone charge extra for the on-ramp class? Does everyone make it mandatory? I am very doubtful anyone where I live (CrossFit is not well-known) will pay for a class in ADDITION to a membership.
I am in a bit of a different situation as I bought an existing gym and there were already clients that moved with me. We are awaiting affiliation, but as soon as it comes through, we are going to require on-ramp. Not just for new clients, but old clients who need the intro to movements that just don't have them down. For clients who have been around for a while, we are not going to charge extra for it, but we plan to make it a requirement. Fortunately, most of these people attend the same classes, so we will just do a sort of mini on-ramp in their existing classes. About 15 minutes each class period over a period of a couple of months. For new people, it will be a dedicated two times per week for an hour each class for a month and they will be required to attend on-ramp before they move into regular classes. And yes, it will be slightly higher than the unlimited class option. I'd rather have people who have an understanding of the movements before they move into the regular classes even if it means I lose a couple of potential clients who feel they don't want to pay for on-ramp.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Greg Keeter

Profile:

Heck yes!

I explain to prospective members that we work very hard to create a high quality training environment and we don't want it disrupted just because someone is new. Almost everyone agrees.

Those that hesitate usually are the more experienced athletes who feel they aren't beginners. Sometimes we cut a deal with them on price, but most of the time they just do it. A few times we have told them that if at the end of class they didn't learn a lot we'll give them their money back. We haven't had to give any money back yet.

We do our Foundation class on most Saturday afternoons and it's 4 hours long. We charge $100 for it. They only come the one time. This class is extra training to get them ready to attend the wod. It's purpose isn't to make them competent in the movements, but rather to give them an understanding of our training process and to gain confidence in us. Its really a mini L1 with some extra stuff.

I know it's not easy Tricia but if you have doubts they will too. If, on the other hand, you are certain that it is in their best interest then they will think that too. Getting them to make a strong commitment is crucial for them to get off to a good start.

We do something else a bit different too. When they come to the Foundation class they bring payment for their first 30 days of training. These 30 days are their only obligation.

Only after they complete 30 days do we sign them up for the autopay, and we only do that once we have their explicit approval. Even then they can cancel with a 30 day notice. This relatively high cost to join ensures they take joining us seriously. We do not want members that aren't serious.

On the other hand it's a commitment that's easy to get out of. Limited obligation gives them room to try it, but the cost keeps the unserious away. We like them committed for 30 days so they get past the worse of the soreness and get to see lots of trainers and members.

It works for us.

Greg

Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
If it's going to be my time, or a trainers time, the answer has to be yes.

We charge $125 for 5 classes over 2 weeks. That fee also includes any other regular scheduled classes they want to take. I encourage them to take one other class during the On Ramp classes.
Meeting trainers, other members and starting to get into the flow of our affiliate is important.
IMO, they can learn how to do the movements over time; and won't be proficient in 2 weeks. HOWEVER, they will decide very quickly if our affiliate, or CrossFit is for them.

At the end of the 2 weeks, we pro rate out the rest of the month at our monthly rate, and begin month to month billing on the 1st of the following month.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
It is not in addition to a membership. It is before a membership. It actually is a great way to let people experience CrossFit with a small dollar and time commitment. We price 6 classes at $65 which is about half our 3 Day a week membership.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Tricia Grunwaldt

Profile:

MUCH clearer now on how everyone does it! I was/am in TOTAL agreement that it is important for newbies to learn movements, technique, fundamentals, etc. Just wasn't quite sure how to execute it well.