CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-13-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

Hi, I got pointed to the CrossFit website about a month ago, and have been watching the WOD go by with interest and dread. I'd like to start doing the WOD, but have no real history with weightlifting and a definite history of back injuries.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and would love to find a coach/trainer who can work with me on my form to the point where I won't injure myself. Someone who's in tune with CrossFit would be particularly nice. (Live in Palo Alto, work in Redwood Shores.)

Thanks,
chris
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Dan John

Profile:

There are lots of places in the Bay Area...I would trade you in a second. The crossfit gang is just over the mountain, you have the Sports Palace in the city and another big club (help me, Lincoln!) really close to you. In Palo Alto, there is Stanford...nothing like the academic excellence of Utah State, but still a good school, albeit expensive...where my good friend, Steph Benight is lifting (see my newsletter).

Try a web search.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Dan,
Who is that fellow lifting in the movie on your profile. That looks like a **** load of weight to snatch!
Brad
Old 01-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I think that's Pyrros Dimas (sp?), isn't it? For an Oly lifter, that guy is pretty ripped.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Nobody explodes like Dimas!!! You can literally feel it and hear him even with no sound. Check out the full hip extension with the heels down. Man!!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Sloan Johnson

Profile:  
Chris: Did you find a gym in the Bay area? I am just getting started also and want to find a gym and trainer in the city (SF) who is familiar with CrossFit. I also know of some people in the East Bay who'd like to get started. I couldn't access the Sports Palace website for some reason... anybody have any other ideas? :happy:
Old 01-19-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
That's Dimas snatching a world record 180kg (396.8 pounds) at the 1996 Olympics, hence the happy look on his face.

Jim Schmitz (Sports Palace) email is schmitzjim@earthlink.net
Old 01-19-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

East Bay folks should be checking out http://www.cerritohill.com/ . . . . I'm not sure how deep they go in Olympic lifting, but they're certainly "familiar with CrossFit"

Dave
Old 01-21-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Sloan Johnson

Profile:  
Thanks David, that's great!
Old 01-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #10
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

Sloan,

I'm doing my workouts at work - Oracle in Redwood Shores. The facilities are fine (Gravitron!) but no one else there does the O lifts. For now, I'm trying to learn the form myself with help from the web, and expect I'll eventually go over the hill for a visit to CrossFit to get some coaching/evaluation.

I'm also going to try to contact the Stanford Weightlifting Club, but I suspect that they will not be available for a non-Stanford person. There's also a guy/studio in Palo Alto that concentrates on kettleball workouts (www.girya.net) that might be useful, but I don't know that he's familiar with CrossFit.