CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-30-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I was laying in my bed last night about 2 in the morning, and got to thinking about how to generate consistent, not increasing pressure on pullups, and thought about taking the handle on a Concept 2 rower, attaching a rope, running it under a wheel under a pullup bar, attaching it to a belt, and doing pullups with it. I suppose you could probably do squats that way too. You get more resistance the faster you go, and you could go for a certain amount of work.

Anyway, I don't have a rower, so I can't actually try this. This may be a dumb idea, but maybe not.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Barry-

I do have a C2, a pull-up bar, and a belt. I'll get some rope this afternoon and see if I can rig this up sometime soon.
By the way, I had another idea while I was trying to figure out the set-up you were describing: You could run a much longer length of rope OVER the pull-up bar before attaching it to your belt. This would provide substantial assistance at the top of the negative of the pull-up, allowing trainees to practice a high number of eccentric-free pull-ups without undermining grip endurance by dropping off the bar.

Ross Hunt
Old 07-30-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Good news! I will have a C2 some day, so please let me know if that's a good idea or not.

I'm not sure I quite picture the set up you're describing, but it has occurred to me that you could do reverse weighted pullups, where you run the rope UP, and over the bar, and then put a weight on the end, which should provide assistance to people who can't do regular pullups, and don't have access to assistance machines.

That is probably the same as what you are saying, now that I reread it.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I'm still waiting for Bxx Gxxxxxx's Guide To Incredible Pullup Power. :crazy: It was only 75 dollars!

All jokes aside, this sounds like a pretty solid idea. Ross, if you do this, let us know how it works.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Barry Cooper's Crazy Concept 2 Pull-Up Contraption, Chapter One:

Rolled a C2 into the weight room today (got some strange looks), ran a length of rope from the C2 handle under two stacked 100# dumbbells and through a weight belt. This approximates the set-up Barry suggested. It provided even resistance on the concentric, just as a weight would have, with an absolutely unresisted eccentric. Notes:

1) If you want even resistance over the whole exercise, it is absolutely essential to make sure that there is already full tension on the rope at full extension in the hang.

2) If you want to play with sticking points, you can rig the length of rope so as to manipulate the point where resistance kicks in. When the resistance does kick in, it does so gently - more quickly than JumpStretch bands, but not a surprising jerk. It feels remarkably like... hitting a sticking point.

3) The rope which is connected to the C2 handle must run vertically up to the weight belt if resistance is to be provided; the distance from the rower does not change enough to provide significant resistance if you just tie yourself to the rower and do pull-ups without anchoring the line beneath the bar.

4) If you use the anchoring technique I did (stacked dumbbells) you're going to need a significant amount of weight. I only weigh a buck sixty-five on a good day, and it took two one hundreds to keep the rope down. In retrospect, this is a no-brainer, because I have to be pulling more than my body weight in pounds to do a pull-up, but for heavier CrossFitters this may make this contraption a little harder to set up.

5) The resistance varies considerably by damper setting. I tested the device with chins using a difficult grip (large, square crossbeam of a pulley weight system - there wasn't anything else available). I can do about 18 bodyweight chins with a kip and one chin with an added 70 pounds of weight at 160-165 pounds. I felt like I could have done at least 10 chins pretty easily with the damper set on 3. I didn't experiment with that setting for very long, but bumped it up to 10, which provided me with a good level of resistance for multiple sets of 5 or triples.

If this design were to be streamlined and made convenient, it would afford trainees the ability to practice productive, weighted concentrics with a low amount of fatiguing eccentrics. Pavel T. has reccomended this technique to people who have just attained the ability to do a pistol: Rather than accumulate extensive training volume by doing the eccentric of every repetition and get in less concentric reps, work only on the concentric. That said, anybody with a training partner could get the same benefits without the apparatus.

Next time, I will run the rope under the dumbbells and over the bar down to my weight belt to experiment with assisted eccentrics, and experiment with the original set-up at different damper settings to try to give everyone an idea of how much resistance each one provides.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:09 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
That setup reminds me of the Pulley Assisted One-Arm Chin setup discussed in one of the articles on DragonDoor:

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=232

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 06:08 AM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Mike,

That's a great article. Thanks for posting it.

Ross,

Thanks for your proof of concept work. It sounds like it might be a winner. The eccentric/concentric discussion reminds me of a question I had: I bought a tape from the people who make The Stick that talks about DOMS--Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, something anybody who's done more than 2 WOD has experienced--and they said it appears to come primarily from the ECCENTRIC contraction, not the Concentric. This was news to me. Obviously, it's hard to do a squat without going down first, but it sounds like with this setup we might be able to get more positive work done with less soreness.

I'd be curious if anybody else had heard that about DOMS.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Barry, that is a long established fact about DOMS. Activities that use friction for resistance generally do not have an eccentric component and cause very little or no soreness.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Thanks, Brian. I think it's time for me to buy a couple books on muscle physiology.