CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

It seems that most people here follow the zone diet (or paleo), but that may have more to do with lots of questions on it than others.

That said, who here follows something other than the zone?

I haven't gotten Mastering the Zone yet, which most say will make it easier to understand but on the surface it seems excutiatingly detailed. Perhaps this is in the intial stages and after a while it becomes second nature, I'm not sure.

I've never tried a no-fat diet...it just didn't seem realistic for me on the face of it.

I briefly tried Atkins, but within two days came to dread eating. I'm not sure if that is the goal or not... :lol:

I did the BFL diet (and workout, which deservies a lot of credit for combining diet/exercise, especially for people not used to doing anything physical) and it seems to work pretty consistently and has the benefit of lots of protein. The only thing I didn't like was having to plan out so much in advance...but perhaps that is inevitable. That said, most meals were "eyeballable" to make up a word. The in-between snacks/meals took the planning.

Lately, I've mostly been trying to eat clean (less and less sugar, high-fructose corn syrup is the devil...). It's been working slowly but I would like to pick up the fat-loss pace. I'm leaning towards BFL (diet wise, not exercise) but I'm curious if this is frowned upon in the crossfit world and if there are people who follow something other than the zone (and why)?

Thanks...

Howard
Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Essentially most people "start" with a plan...and then fine tune it to their own specific needs...which is what everyone needs to do....some do well with low carbs <50g day....some do well with higher....it all depends on your goals...your lifestyle and your individual metabolism. Start with one...try different things...see what you like the best and you still have the result and performance you desire. Most people you will find on here have highest carbs on the zone...and lowest on the metabolic diet...and use high amounts of fat as fuel for the body. I myself feel healthier, function better and have plenty of energy on a lower carb, mod protein and higher fat diet...but I am tweaking it all the time to see how different changes affect me. Plus my metabolism and lifestyle changes too....so nothing will ever be set in stone and I will know how to adjust depending on how I feel.

Eating clean is priority #1 for everyone....Getting a healthy gut should be #1a...
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks Mike,

The healthy gut thing is something I know nothing about. Just switching to clean foods won't take care of that? I know there is another post on that right now, but is there a simple step 1, 2, 3 for people new to the idea like me?

Thanks...

Howard
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Plenty of threads on healthy gut in here...great information and I highly recommend looking at them.

This book is recommended www.bodyecologydiet.com

And you should be taking a good quality probiotic and digestive enzyme daily.

Healthy gut = health + fat loss + muscle gain + feeling great
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I tried the Zone and found that it was far too low in fat and made me crave carbs ALL the time. Then I'd have to resist the cravings in order to follow the Zone diet. I take a lot of principles from a lot of different diets (Paleo, primal, cyclic low carb, BED, etc.) and made one that is uniquely my own. :-) No grain, lots of grass-fed beef (raw or cooked), grass-fed eggs (raw or cooked), raw milk, kimchee for the probiotics, a lot lot lot of veggies, a little fruit and an ample amount of healthy fats in avocados, raw cheese, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds, etc. Yumminess. The Performance Menu is an awesome resource with great recipes, I just tried some out yesterday and it never fails. http://http://www.performancemenu.com/
Other great sites include http://www.paleodiet.com/ and http://www.westonaprice.org/

Would add cod liver oil to Mike's suggested supplements, and also make sure that you are getting probiotics in your food as well as the pill.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
The Zone are for stalinists. I see that people are very glad for it, but it not for me. I eat paleo and drink coffee all the time and pizzas and beer once in a while. Works for me. Could work for you too ...
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i avoid sugar and limit refined carbs, but that's about it. whole wheat, all kinds of fat, dairy, fast food, pretty much everything gets in there. i am trying to get bigger/stronger so its all good. when i cut weight i'll go stricter zone, which for me means better quality fats, much less refined carbs, and better quality protein. Scotch stays in no matter what.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #8

Profile:

me
Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I don't check this forum too much, because I understand the basics, and do what I'm going to do anyway.

Having said that, I don't think you can follow a diet that's too unhealthy, and feel good. So make yourself a test mouse, and eat a meal, paying attention to rough macronutriet ratios, and see how you feel. Eat a different type of meal, with different ratios, and observe what happens. You can't hurt yourself, if you do it one meal at a time. Eat peanuts only for lunch. See what happens. Eat apples only. Eat an entire package of the Reeses Halloween peanut butter cups. Eat granola and milk. Eat a zone meal. Sushi. Indian food.

I've gotten to where I can look at a meal, and know about how I will feel 3 hours later. Sometimes I do the right thing (most of the time). Occasionally, I just eat something because it tastes good.

The Zone is excruciatingly simple in it's basic form. A piece of meat or other dense protein--ideally low in saturated fat--the size of your palm. Roughly 2 palms worth of fruits and veggies, and maybe half a palm of nuts, avocado or olive oil. Do that 3x a day or so, and cut the portion in half for a snack or two daily. Work out. Sleep enough. If you're thirsty (or your pee is yellow, if you're not taking multi-vitamins), drink water. Take Fish oil daily.

Simple.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Sam Lepore

Profile:
Well put Barry.