CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #1001
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: The Wolverines Log

Sunday January 22
Press 5,5,5+: 120, 140, 160x7

Weighted Pull-ups (1,2,3)x3: 58

Back Press 3x7: 115

Barbell Curl 3x9: 95, 95, 95(7)
Old 01-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #1002
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Monday January 23
Rough day in the gym today. Failed a bunch of snatches and just felt off. I can feel the volume has piled up and all the PR's are weighing me down. I'm going to try and plan a full 2 week taper for this meet so I can be in top shape.

Snatch 20 singles: 195f, 195x5 singles, 205x5, 215x5, 225f, 225, 225fff
- honestly this was supposed to be snatch 15 singles but at a higher % than last week. I got stupid and greedy which led me to failing a bunch. I figured hey I'll do another 5 singles at 225 which is above 90%. Prilepins chart is so embarrassed with me right now. I got a lot of good lifts in, but it definitely felt off today and there was more than one rep I chased forward as I stood up.

Front Squat 3RM: 335 PR
- this definitely made me feel like I haven't lost my strength. Just my technique from being so tired and beat down. But a solid front squat PR reminded me I still am building strength.

Called it there. Hopefully the rest of this week goes better.

Edit: some of those snatch fails could definitely be from a heavy upper body day of pressing and pull-ups yesterday. Really today I felt like my shoulders were so shot and I had no finish in the snatch. So that could easily be.

Last edited by Jordan Derksen; 01-23-2017 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #1003
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Thursday January 26
Well... I got quite sick the last two days. I stayed home from work today and yesterday left early. It was a full body achiness/lethargy combo that had me couch bound. No worries I guess. Still got a few weeks before competing. This evening I started to feel better so I got in my home gym to move some pounds.

Bench Press 3,3,3+,2x5@80%: 190, 220, 250x4, 210, 220
- misloaded my first set of the drop sets. Top set felt pretty good considering how bad I've felt.

Landmine Row with Strap 3x8: 135 (3x45 loaded on the end)
- did these two hands style leaning over with a strap around the bar that I was holding onto. Essentially turned it into a t bar row. I have no heavy Dumbbells to do the one arm rows at home so I did what I could.

Kettlebell Curl 3x5: 24kg.
- I had to do a slight hip cheat to get it moving because it's so awkward with a Kettlebell. But it felt pretty good actually.

Gonna chill for tomorrow and then combine my last two workouts on Saturday so I can have 2 solid weeks of tapering into my comp. Let's hope all these PR's and heavy work over the last few months adds up to something on the platform!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #1004
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Saturday January 28
Well I managed to get after it this evening. I can't believe how beat up I've felt from this sickness. It definitely hasn't been a normal head cold. But the workout went really well today considering, and I'm hopeful that I can recover, gain some weight back, and do well at my competition!

Back Squat 3,3,3+,2x5@80%: 275, 310, 350x5, 310x5x2 sets
- I was very surprised how this felt. I was expecting much worse for sure.

Press 3,3,3+,2x5@80%: 130, 150, 165x5, 145x5x2 sets

Weighted Pull-ups (1,2,3)x3: 28.5kg(63lb)

I did some step ups with my left leg with body weight. Still working on that left glute. Although I gotta say, having this whole week off my back has started to feel much better.

Called it there. The next two weeks I'll have to try to get some snap going on the lifts and hopefully peak as best as I can for the 12th!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #1005
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Tuesday January 31
Still feeling pretty tired today and a bit sick as well. But very much on the up swing. That one hit hard that's for sure. I came in with the goal today of just moving a few heavy weights but keeping it short. It went well considering.

Clean and P.Jerk get a heavy single: 135x3, 185x2, 225, 225, 245, 265, 275f jerk, 275
- jerk positioning was a bit off today, but to be expected because I tightened up a lot while I was sick. Overall I'm happy with that and called it there.

Front Squat get a heavy single: 335.
- nothing crazy. This did feel pretty heavy but now is not the time to be pushing PR's anyways. Just move something heavy.

Power Snatch a few reps at 75%: 135x5 singles, 155, 155, 185x3 singles
- this felt good and snappy, but my first couple reps were way out front.

Overall I don't feel too bad. I could be a lot better, but I'm trying to train a bit and not affect my recovery too bad.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #1006
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Thursday February 2
Feeling really good today. Finally bouncing back. I'm surprised how strong I felt, like I barely missed a step.

Bench Press 5,3,1+: 205, 235, 260x3
- very happy with that top set. No down sets today.

One Arm DB Rows 3x10: 100

I called it there today. I really wanted to do more but I held myself back. I gotta let this energy build up for next weekend!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #1007
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Friday February 3
Great day in the gym today! Next week is all taper.

Snatch something heavy: 135x5, 155x2, 185x2, 205x2, 225
- all reps in singles. Felt great working up. No fails. Confidence restored in my strength levels. I just wanted to work up to around 90% today.

Back Squat 5,3,1+: 290, 330, 370x5 PR
- I was not expecting that. I honestly thought if I got 3 reps I would be happy. 370 is an all time record for me, besting even the time I ran Texas method in the furnace room of a house I rented with my buddies. This is getting crazy! Only a few more months until I step into the 400's for reps. Just thinking that gives me nervous excitement.

I did a lot of mobility after, especially in the hips. I've been using Jefferson curls with just the bar again. My hip still bothers me in the mornings from time to time but it's quite a bit better than it was.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #1008
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Yup... I played a lot of hockey on the weekend. I'm feeling pretty recovered but my legs are a bit slow.

Tuesday February 7
Snatch up to 80%: 135x1x3, 185, 185, 195, 195
- I was able to make a huge jump easily. Snatches felt great.

Clean and Jerk up to 80%: 135x1x3, 185, 185, 225, 225, 245, 245
- it got better as I went along. My shoulders are a bit tight for the jerk so my positioning wasn't great. I still have a lot of tweaking to do on my power jerk positions. I need to do jerk recoveries sometime to drill catch position with heavy weights. Or heavy *** jerk grip overhead squats.

Snatch Pull: 255, 255, 255

Jerk Drive: 275, 305, 305, 305

Front Squat: 305

Pull-ups and Back Extensions alternating for 2 sets only to finish it off. Just body weight for these exercises.

Done for today. Overall I'm pretty psyched up. I'm a little worried about the power jerk and how that's gonna go. I'm still not super comfortable with it, but I do love the idea of it and when I get it right I really like how it feels. I was tempted to switch to split quickly for this comp but I want to see this through for a bit yet. I got two more days yet, Thursday and Friday will be 70 then 60% for Sn/CJ only. Saturday is off. Then go time Sunday. There are 7 lifters in my weight class so this will be really fun! A bunch of them are right around my ability level, but I did find out a really good lifter is coming from Minnesota who has around 125/155 so ya... I won't be getting first this time.

EDIT: I don't want to get too into my thoughts on some of my programming changes this month, all I gotta say is for me the joe mills 20/20 did not work out well. In the future I will keep running with triples, doubles, singles type progression because it seems to leave me feeling a lot stronger. Cutting down to only singles actually makes me less confident and I will snatch a weight and find myself wondering how I ever did a triple with it. Where when I'm hitting those triples/doubles hard then singles seem so easy.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #1009
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Friday February 10
Snatch up to 70%: 175x4 singles
- a bit forward on some of the snatches. Pulled it back in and got some good reps and called it.

Clean and Jerk up to 70%: 205x3 singles
- positions were a bit off on the jerks. I got it ironed out and called it.

Lots of stretching.

Last workout day before my comp. I was definitely planning on more days in the gym this week but it is what it is. I got acupuncture for my back on Wednesday and that put me out until today for the gym. I'm probably going to take a week or two off the gym after this competition. I gotta get healed up before I push too far. The sports massage therapist I saw who gave me acupuncture told me my hips had actually twisted and my left hip was turned backwards a bit. He calmed down some pretty locked up muscles and my hips do feel much more aligned. My wife and I are also taking back our foam mattress and I am never buying one again. I've had nothing but back problems when I sleep on that thing.

Well, it's not ideal training wise but I've done what I can at this point and Sunday will be what it is. There's some strong lifters coming from Minnesota so I know I'm not getting first anyways. But it should be fun!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #1010
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Sunday February 12
Festival Du Voyageur Weightlifting Competition
Hosted by Prairie Crossfit

Snatch: 100, 105, 110

Clean and Jerk: 125, 130, 135f jerk

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQdWQucjVu0/ (Wfs)

Overall the competition was a blast! I was way more relaxed this time. I took my time warming up and was basically just snatching 60kg every few minutes and chilling. When it got close to my attempt I just went 70, 80, 90 over the next 10 mins and went out to destroy. I learnt that from Kono's book and it worked great! Saving my energy for the platform really made the competition more fun. I was looking around at all the other guys who were up to a few kg from their opener while I was still hitting singles at 60.

It was too bad I missed my last jerk. I was 2kg away from getting bronze. Richard Deschamps and I were battling the whole time. We tied for snatch and he finished with 132 on the clean and jerk but I had an attempt left. I went 135. In hindsight I could have done 133 to win it and probably made it. I was so close. But I'm still working on my power jerk and it's by no means great at heavier weights.

I'm taking two weeks off weightlifting now to save my back. I will keep pushing some weights around and lifting, but it will be a bigger bodybuilding focus for a bit now. I want to keep my squats up so I may keep in back squats once a week depending on my back. It's not terrible, just tight. So I don't think it needs total rest, just take the volume down to almost 0.

I am really disappointed I didn't medal. The really good lifters from Minnesota easily took 1/2 place. The one thing I'm encouraged by is I improved by a significant amount over everyone else. Most guys I think actually didn't improve at all as some are battling injuries. I'm really happy with how my cycles have gone this last while, but in the future I need to control my intensity. The last few weeks of sickness and fatigue really put a wrench in super compensating as I tapered. I'm actually happy I did as well as I did. There are no more major comps until fall, so I have a lot of time to work on some weaknesses, heal up a bit, push my squats, and fill out my weight class.