CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
All the evidence from what I have read and felt, and from the way that I have trained in the past two years (lots of dips, barbell bench presses and overhead presses) leaves me to conclude that I have a moderate case of internal rotation of the humerus. At the moment I simply don't have the money to get it checked up by a sports therapist and my regular doctor didn't have a clue what it was. When standing straight my palms point almost perfectly straight behind me.

So, here goes. I replaced all barbell work with dumbbell work, with the exception of deadlifts, squats and O-lifts and speed bench. Someone has recommended to me cuban presses and lying side abduction to 45 degrees, both with DBs. I also figured I could do the typical standing cable rotations, both ways (not sure of their name, sorry). I also do some rear delt work (cable and DB's) because I feel that part of my problem is due to the large imbalance between my front and rear delts. When I look at myself in the mirror from the side I have a grossly hypertrophied front delt and an almost inexistant rear delt.

My concern is that after a few sessions of doing rotator cuff work my shoulders have become VERY clicky and a lot more sensible than they used to be. They don't hurt yet, but I fear that they will if they keep clicking like that. For example today I was in my kitchen with some friends and did an L-seat hold on the countertop. As I was raising my legs my two shoulders creaked and cracked so loud that everybody in the room heard it. If I just raise my arms above my head there are at least 3 points in the movements where both shoulders will click and there is a fourth one on the left arm. I also feel that there is some minor inflamation inside the joint, but that is most likely due to all the clicking. Keep in mind that this is extremely recent, and most of it started happening after my last workout last night where I did some light speed work on the bench press with elastic bands for 8 sets of 3 (i figured the light weight couldn't hurt me, but I might've been wrong... it was my first time speed benching in 3 months), cuban presses, rear delt raises and bar muscle-ups.

I really need to know if it is the normal rehabilitation process when coming back from internal rotation to have your shoulders become clicky. If not, what am I doing wrong? My next workout is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so please respond promptly as I am seeking to apply changes as soon as I can.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Joe,
My palms also point almost straight back, they have for at least 25 years (from when I was 18) they still work fine. Try not to freak out if your shoulders are working and don't hurt.

It would not hurt you to take a break from benching! I know you are young and can probably hammer your body hard and still recover, but the symptoms you are experiencing may be telling you to take a break.

Why are you speed benching?

Look up shoulder dislocates
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
overhead work (presses, OH squats, snatches, jerks) strengthen the posterior part of the shoulders. maybe cut out bench and substitute some of these movements.

also, check the position of your lower back. if you are locked in flexion down there, it will cause your spine to flatten and your shoulders and chest to slump forward, contributing to internal rotation. How is your deadlift?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Joe Cloutier

Profile:
Craig, most of the training I do is dedicated to improving performance in parkour, and I figured that some amount of speed benching would be good to develop the explosiveness I need to kong larger obstacles (by the way, don't bother if this doesn't make the least amount of sense to you, it's a parkour movement). I was also wondering if it could be a good idea to substitute the speed bench for board presses since my arms are always in a near-lockout position when konging, but I don't expect you to have an opinion on that :biggrinthumb:

Andrew, it is quite possible that part of my problem is caused by the bad posture I have taken for years when I was a lazy kid. I am still trying to correct this and I know I've made progress but it's rather hard breaking a 5-year long habit of slouching. My heaviest pull on the deadlift was 335 lbs, at a BW of roughly 150lbs (5'9'', probably in the single digit bodyfat numbers too so I'm pretty skinny).

Switched things up today: I dropped the cuban presses and did some seated external rotator work. Resting my elbow on my knee, I twist my arm towards the inside as low as flexibility will allow (in the direction you would in a concentration curl) and bring it back up to vertical while maintaining the same angle at the elbow. Also did some rear delt raises with dumbbells and these two exercises together really made me feel better. I'm thinking that 2-3 weeks of that will make me functional again. I'm starting a strenght program that has the main goal of making my legs and core stronger so I will probably be dropping some chest work to avoid injuring myself further. I'll also be posting my program in the fitness section to see what you people think about it.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
more pullups and body rows. Work on bringing the shoulder blades together on the back.

do lots of dislocates with a broomstick.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I would suggest following the Phase I part of this program (work/fam safe, at least the article is, the comments are T-Nation, so don't expect too much):
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

Ditch the benching. You wouldn't do Parkour well with a bench attached to your back anyway. :bolt: The pushup plus in Phase I is probably a good resemblance (done on the ground, not on a ball) to what you want to replicate.

Be careful of adding too many "lat" exercises--the lats are an internal rotator of the shoulder.

Strengthen your overhead work (squats, walking, pressing).

Start doing active joint mobility. It will help your Parkour, as it will increase your body awareness and proprioception. I suggest Z-Health, there are threads on here about the different types available.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try some simple stuff like lying on your stomach/swiss ball with your thumbs pointing toward the ceiling. Now lift up and make a "Y" and hold for 30-60sec. Then a "W", "T", and "L". Pretty soon you can add resistance with bands or small weights. This simple thing will do wonders.