CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Scott Robertson

Profile:
DISCLAIMER "This is my first post. I apologize if it has already been covered. I searched but did not find anything yet."

I will be installing a pullup bar and hopefully rings in my garage. The height of the ceiling is 11 feet. I have found many great posts on how to make the bar and install it. My question, is how far down can I install the bar using the typical steel pipe configuration.

If I hang the bar down 3 feet so that it is hanging at an 8foot level, I am worried that it will rock quite a bit while kipping given the length of the posts between the bar and ceiling.

I would appreciate anyone's comments or guidance.

Thanks}}
Old 04-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Can you access the area above the garage?
I will post a picture later today of mine.
11 feet...awesome!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Scott Robertson

Profile:
I don't believe I can. There may be indirect access through an attic hatch located somewhere in the house. I'll have to check.

The garage is completly drywalled and finished.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Will Nuse

Profile:
With a drop of 3' or so, you might want to consider making V-shaped end hangers (the pullup bar would go at the point). Another option is using something bigger/stronger than pipe for the hangers and attaching the pipe to that.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:
It might be better to go with a wall-mounted bar if you have the option. Your space will be perfect for rings, though. You might even want to look into making a hanging bar suspended by rope or cable. I believe in one of his posts Eugene had a picture and noted that they were interesting/well worth putting in.

Otherwise, if you have to mount it from the ceiling, you may want to look into tripod-like ceiling attachment points, using an angled T-connector to break the bar in two. The three anchors would theoretically prevent rocking. Of course, that would be pretty expensive.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Scott, as Skylar mentioned I have a trapeze set up for one of my pullup bars and it makes for a somewhat more difficult kipping pullup. Works great for doing pullovers too. All I did was suspend some plumbing pipe using 1/8 inch steel cable from Lowes. I'll send pics if you want them.

How wide is your space? A nice option is to span your gym space with 6 foot sections of pipe with T connectors in between each and a 3 foot section going up to the ceiling secured with a floor flange. Measure the distance, measure it again and then workout the number and length of pipe sections you need making sure you account not only for the T connectors and floor flanges but also for the distance you lose when you screw them together. I had that set up in the width of one of my garage doors but my wife had a fit about what it looked like since it was outside the garage door when it was closed. While it was up it worked great, solid as can be.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Scott Robertson

Profile:
Eugene - Pics would be appreciated.

With regards to the 6 foot sections of pipe with T connectors that would work between the garage door if my wife agreed but still wouldn't work dropping 3+ feet from the garage ceiling, right?

Apart from being new to CF, I'm also new to handyman type work.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
John Nolan

Profile:
Scott,
do you know any welders??? I ask because a friend of mine is a welder and in the process if making me the mother of all bomb-proof pullup bars. If you do, I can send you plans/directions. I made a slide using OpenOffice, but it would not display properly

(Message edited by JuanMurphy on April 29, 2007)
Old 04-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Scott for an idea of what Eugene's description looks like, check out the "Kipping Pullup Concepts" video on the excercise page. Shows how solid it is with 5 people kipping on it... Also nice views of the connectors/setup.

Eugene- that's the word I was looking for. "Trapeze." Would have saved me a lot of typing :lol:
Old 04-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Chad McBroom

Profile:
Take a look at my power ring mounts. It might give you an idea for hanging a PU bar. I'm pretty sure the same concept would work for a PU bar, it just may require wider bracketts.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/40399.html