CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Evan Cauble-Johnson

Profile:
I'm just getting interested in Crossfit and am reading up on the workouts and nutrition. I've investigated the Zone diet, and would really like to give it a try, but I'm having some trouble figuring out meal combinations.

Where do the carbs come from? If I'm making a 500 kcal meal, say a tuna salad, and I'm getting around 35g of protein from the tuna and a little fat from an olive oil & vinegar dressing, where am I getting the ~45g of carbs that I need?

It seems like there's no way to get enough grams of carbs from vegetables alone, but if I add in fruit or grains I'm violating the principles of the diet. Can anyone give me an idea of how many veggies I'd need to add to a salad to get to 45g of carbs? I'm having trouble figuring it out on fitday.com.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
You'll never get it on salad alone. Darn near one head of lettuce per block of carbs... heh...

The Zone diet allows for fruits, there's just some fruits (and some vegetables) that are unfavorable (they have a high effect on your glucose). All grains are that way too, strangely enough, because grains are basically long chains of sugar, and they easily break down into sugar when you eat them. (Sugar may not be the right word, but it's basically right). I try to avoid grains and starches, I seem to get the best results when I do so.

Basically, the answer to your question is "You're going to eat a LOT of fruits and vegetables."

Apples are a good choice, one apple is two blocks (I think), peaches are good, and if you want to go quasi-zone, go with canned fruits (like canned pineapple, I love the stuff, and one can can last you almost all day for a big chunk of your carbs).

Carrots are tough, it's like 9 baby carrots per block. Lettuce is about 1 head per block (that's a lotta lettuce). Another of my favorites is making hummous (although it I think it's a starch, chickpeas are strangely enough on the "preferred" carbs list). I use 1 can chickpeas, 1/4 cup lemon juice, I think 2 tbsp olive oil, one (I use two) cloves of garlic, and I think that's it. Blend it up, and eat. If you count it on fitday, it's got fat and carbs in it (don't bother counting the protein in it)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
From best to worst, sources of carbs:
- low-density vegetables (eg. broccoli)
- medium density vegetables (eg. green beans)
- berries
- fruit
- high-density vegetables and fruit (eg. cooked corn and raisins)
*below this, the foods are ideally completely absent*
- grains (including oatmeal), dairy, and starches (potatoes, kidney beans)
- sugar
- soda :-)

Apple chunks, orange slices, pineapple cubes, kiwi cuts, etc. all work great in salads, assuming you cannot add enough vegetables. If you need additional fat and don't like olive dressings, you can sprinkle it in slivered almonds. Chicken, turkey, or shrimp are all nice proteins for salads.

Edit: Matt posted while I did.
On canned fruits: rinse them off in water to get rid of the extra juice/heavy syrup. You don't need the sugar water.

(Message edited by whiteninja on June 02, 2007)
Old 06-03-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Matt;

I'm thinking you left out the Tahini. It's great stuff. I buy 16oz jars from a mid eastern grocer, add a tbsp to most of my dish's to add fat. I just bought my first jar of Almond butter, another great additive when you don't want to toss in Almonds.
BTW, you can add almost anything to Hummus, and it always comes out great. I like Sun Dried Tomatoes, Dried Chiles, etc etc.
Just my two cents, by the way, good post, also Pat is right on the mark.
Jay
Old 06-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Evan Cauble-Johnson

Profile:
Thanks for the advice guys. Putting meals together with fruit is easy; I somehow got the impression that I was being encouraged to only eat carbs from vegetable sources.

I'll try out some of your recommendations. Today is grocery day.