CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Bryan Hood

Profile:
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

I used a jigsaw to cut all mine. Since then, I've trimmed a couple with a sharp knife. Jigsaw is definitely the way to go.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Ryan Cole

Profile:

Are stall mats still the best, cheapest way to go? Horse stall mats from Tractor Supply, right? I've seen other mats offered at cheaper price, but was wondering if something else is worth looking into... Price-wise and quality-wise. I'm gonna need about 2k sq ft. Did anyone get discount for amount ordered or any specific company offering better price? I heard that Costco actually offered something similar - garage flooring? Any thoughts?? THANKS for the feedback!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Daniel O'Brien

Profile:

Just outfitted our studio with horse stall mats. Purchased from Big R that was out of town so tax rate was lower from that, plus they were kind enough to tell us they always have Saturday sales which saved a bit more money as well. Bang for buck horse stall mats are hard to beat.

Make sure you also check your local craigslist. I am now seeing lots of it pop up for cheap when other boxes, gyms, garages, close. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Adam Morden

Profile:

You can also often get a good discount from a feed store if you negotiate a bulk purchase - I ended up getting about 40% off retail on my stall mats.

As far as cutting goes, I also found that the straight edge and 2x4 with a sharp utility knife was the way to go. on tough mats we had one person fold them nearly in half as the other finished the cut that was started with the straight edge.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Forrest Hunt

Profile:

I popped a chalk line and used a pair of branch cutters from tractor supply. It was ridiculously fast and accurate. I kid you not I cut through one sheet in less than a minute and my line was dead on
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Putting a slight bend in the stall mats makes them easier to cut by orders of magnitude.
Agreed. I used a razor knife, and bending it takes the friction off the non-edge portion of the blade. Make an initial scrape, then work it in 6 inch sections with a downward stroke but start at the BOTTOM of your cut. It's very easy to stray from the line if you're trying to get it all in one shot and you can put your other hand under the part you've split to help free up the blade.

You can use a white crayon to draw your straight line. Most other things are impossible to see.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Hunt View Post
I popped a chalk line and used a pair of branch cutters from tractor supply. It was ridiculously fast and accurate. I kid you not I cut through one sheet in less than a minute and my line was dead on
Wish I'd have thought of that..lol
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Ryan Cole

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O'Brien View Post
Just outfitted our studio with horse stall mats. Purchased from Big R that was out of town so tax rate was lower from that, plus they were kind enough to tell us they always have Saturday sales which saved a bit more money as well. Bang for buck horse stall mats are hard to beat.

Make sure you also check your local craigslist. I am now seeing lots of it pop up for cheap when other boxes, gyms, garages, close. Good luck!
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO
-Cole
Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Ryan Cole

Profile:

Thank you!
-Cole
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Ryan Cole

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
You can also often get a good discount from a feed store if you negotiate a bulk purchase - I ended up getting about 40% off retail on my stall mats.

As far as cutting goes, I also found that the straight edge and 2x4 with a sharp utility knife was the way to go. on tough mats we had one person fold them nearly in half as the other finished the cut that was started with the straight edge.
Thank you
-Cole