CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Bryan Hood
Affiliate Bryan Hood is offline
 
Bryan Hood's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nixa  Mo
Posts: 451
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

I used a jigsaw to cut all mine. Since then, I've trimmed a couple with a sharp knife. Jigsaw is definitely the way to go.
__________________
Bryan Hood, CrossFit of the Ozarks (wfs)
Owner/Trainer, Nixa, Missouri
CrossFit Shirts (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Ryan Cole
Member Ryan Cole is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lincoln Park  NJ
Posts: 10
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Are stall mats still the best, cheapest way to go? Horse stall mats from Tractor Supply, right? I've seen other mats offered at cheaper price, but was wondering if something else is worth looking into... Price-wise and quality-wise. I'm gonna need about 2k sq ft. Did anyone get discount for amount ordered or any specific company offering better price? I heard that Costco actually offered something similar - garage flooring? Any thoughts?? THANKS for the feedback!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Daniel O'Brien
Member Daniel O'Brien is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 40
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Just outfitted our studio with horse stall mats. Purchased from Big R that was out of town so tax rate was lower from that, plus they were kind enough to tell us they always have Saturday sales which saved a bit more money as well. Bang for buck horse stall mats are hard to beat.

Make sure you also check your local craigslist. I am now seeing lots of it pop up for cheap when other boxes, gyms, garages, close. Good luck!
__________________
www.OspreyCrossFit.com (SFW)
Colorado Springs, CO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
Adam Morden
Affiliate Adam Morden is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley  BC
Posts: 473
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

You can also often get a good discount from a feed store if you negotiate a bulk purchase - I ended up getting about 40% off retail on my stall mats.

As far as cutting goes, I also found that the straight edge and 2x4 with a sharp utility knife was the way to go. on tough mats we had one person fold them nearly in half as the other finished the cut that was started with the straight edge.
__________________
Adam Morden - Owner CrossFit Courtenay, Comox Valley BC (WFS)
My blog on the business of running a CrossFit Affiliate (WFS possibly some language)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #15
Forrest Hunt
Member Forrest Hunt is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cynthiana  KY
Posts: 7
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

I popped a chalk line and used a pair of branch cutters from tractor supply. It was ridiculously fast and accurate. I kid you not I cut through one sheet in less than a minute and my line was dead on
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Patrick Rushbrook
Member Patrick Rushbrook is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grayson  KY
Posts: 339
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Putting a slight bend in the stall mats makes them easier to cut by orders of magnitude.
Agreed. I used a razor knife, and bending it takes the friction off the non-edge portion of the blade. Make an initial scrape, then work it in 6 inch sections with a downward stroke but start at the BOTTOM of your cut. It's very easy to stray from the line if you're trying to get it all in one shot and you can put your other hand under the part you've split to help free up the blade.

You can use a white crayon to draw your straight line. Most other things are impossible to see.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Patrick Rushbrook
Member Patrick Rushbrook is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grayson  KY
Posts: 339
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Hunt View Post
I popped a chalk line and used a pair of branch cutters from tractor supply. It was ridiculously fast and accurate. I kid you not I cut through one sheet in less than a minute and my line was dead on
Wish I'd have thought of that..lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Ryan Cole
Member Ryan Cole is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lincoln Park  NJ
Posts: 10
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O'Brien View Post
Just outfitted our studio with horse stall mats. Purchased from Big R that was out of town so tax rate was lower from that, plus they were kind enough to tell us they always have Saturday sales which saved a bit more money as well. Bang for buck horse stall mats are hard to beat.

Make sure you also check your local craigslist. I am now seeing lots of it pop up for cheap when other boxes, gyms, garages, close. Good luck!
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO
-Cole
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Ryan Cole
Member Ryan Cole is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lincoln Park  NJ
Posts: 10
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Thank you!
-Cole
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Ryan Cole
Member Ryan Cole is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lincoln Park  NJ
Posts: 10
Re: Cutting Stall Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
You can also often get a good discount from a feed store if you negotiate a bulk purchase - I ended up getting about 40% off retail on my stall mats.

As far as cutting goes, I also found that the straight edge and 2x4 with a sharp utility knife was the way to go. on tough mats we had one person fold them nearly in half as the other finished the cut that was started with the straight edge.
Thank you
-Cole
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seams between stall mats & stall mats moving Ken Hong Equipment 15 12-24-2013 01:28 AM
Stall mat cutting ideas? Anson Castelvecchi Equipment 13 04-15-2011 08:34 AM
Floor Mats for Garage Gym (not stall mats though) Nancy Cohen Equipment 13 01-31-2011 08:16 AM
Cutting Rubber Mats Scott Robertson Equipment 16 05-10-2007 02:19 AM
Cutting Stall Mats Andrew Gray Equipment 10 10-21-2005 07:54 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.