CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
Just wondering how often you all eat dessert? What about splurging? Could pizza be considered a zone food?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Derek Lane

Profile:
Ben,
This point was discussed during the Seminar at BrandX and the conclusion was that yes, it's possible to bring less-than-healthy food into a zone balance, but the benefit is certainly diminished. Nicole had a couple of examples; Jack in the Box: 2 beef patties, 1 bun, skip most of the condiments and have a water with it instead of a Coke (oh, and skip the fries too); Pizza: Thin crust,heavy on the meat and cheese. The thing with the pizza though is you're looking at (1) slice, not sitting down and eating the entire large pizza yourself.... not that I've ever done that (and washed it down with a liter of Pepsi)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Ben, speaking for myself it's very rare that I eat desserts, etc. From what I've seen, due to the usually outrageous carb and fat levels in these foods (with minimal protein) it's tough to fit them into the Zone concept.

Some folks do however partake in so-called "cheat" days, where they'll allow themselves to indulge in whatever they'd like for a meal or two. It's not a bad idea...occasionally we all crave sweets or fats, and IMO giving into those cravings is OK now and again. We never had sweets in the house when I was a kid (thanks Mom!), but I do get nasty cravings for pizza occasionally.

It's a question of whether you have the willpower to partake occasionally and then go right back to eating clean. Not everyone can do that.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I also go for the "cheat" meal every now and then. But that's cheat "meal", not "day". I still try and keep as Zone friendly as possible, but sometimes it'll be pizza at our favourite italian restaurant, so no Zone there.

I'm not particularly interested in sweets, so I'm pretty lucky there.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
If your going to indulge, it's better to do so in the morning...post workout. Less damage that way.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I have a cheat meal every fourth day. Usually the evening of the last WOD of a three day cycle. That way any crappiness I feel the next day won't impact the WOD (since it is a rest day). I don't pig out on sweets or anything, just a much too large meal.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
Brendan Melville

Profile:
God I love icecream. I used to eat ice cream for dessert after every dinner (thanks mom!), but now I'm down to...ice cream after every dinner when I am at home, and no desert whatsoever when I'm off on my own. For me it's a "well if I don't eat it, she will, and then she'll complain that she is gaining weight, so I'll help" sort of thing.

Frankly, if I have to go out and buy dessert for the house, there is a lot less incentive to eat it than if it is already there and I am being urged to.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
a slight topic tangent. . .

I just saw 'supersize me' last night. The Baskin-Robbins story was extremely interesting.

Long story short. Mr. Baskin died of a heart attack at age 51, and Mr. Robbins died with severe adult diabetes. Both men were avid ice cream eaters.

Man I love ice cream.

Going back to topic. Lately I have cheated a few times and really paid the price (feeling like crap an hour or two later). I am going to think twice when I reach for some chocolate truffles next time.

And beer is not cheating. (in my book)
Old 05-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Dan Silver

Profile:

Beer is cheating. I cheat daily, several times, and I don't want you making my habit acceptable.

Think of the children.

-D.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
Hans Park

Profile:  
I ate mainly Korean food growing up and never got into the habit of eating dessert after a meal. There was ice cream every now and then but never cookies or chips. It wasn't until I joined the army that I was able to eat dessert if I wanted to (assuming we had time that is). In recent years my "dessert" is a glass of ice coffee once a day after lunch or dinner. At home I like to have a slurpee after a good gym workout. That's really it.